booking travel insurance for low cost carrier

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never booked for travel insurance online before. in the past i would ask my travel agent to handle this & he would already know all the details of my trip.

If my trip includes 2 internal low cost flights how would i typically get them insured for cancellation by the carrier?

would you input the flights on the form or choose a policy that has low cost flights included? excuse me if the question sounds basic - but i have never booked for insurance myself before.

also which online insurance website do you prefer to use?

thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:36 AM
ira

Hi CC,

Try www.insuremytrip.com.

Which low-cost carriers are you concerned about?

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

ryanair
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

apartently they do insurance too on their website but i would rather start out with cover that you are familiar with. thx
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

plus i just read on wikipedia travel:

"When flying low cost it is always advisable to have good cancellation insurance bought from another supplier which isn't the airline "
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM
pat

I like insuremytrip.com too, as you can do comparison shopping on the same page.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 08:51 AM

What exactly are you insuring for, I'm not clear on that? Whether a flight is low cost or not isn't specified in any travel insurance policy I've read. A flight being cancelled alone isn't going to cost you anything or get you insurance. If Ryanair cancelled a flight and had another in two hours you got on, you wouldn't be due anything.

However, if such a cancellation delayed your trip considerably, some policies pay -- for that, you look at the coverage under trip delays and the variation and cost for that. You would have to incur some costs -- such as nonrefundable hotel rooms you couldn't use, or maybe having to pay for another air ticket that cost you more than the one you had, or something like that.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I don't think insurers care whether your airline is a LCC or not as long as they're not already under bankruptcy protection (for financial default coverage). You simply include your flight cost in the total prepaid cost that your insuring.

What exactly are you trying to insure for? Make sure you read the policy fine print carefully. Otherwise, you may find out later that you're not covered for whatever reason it is that you think you're buying coverage for.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 09:23 AM
LN

Hi

If you do a search on Google for "trip insurance" you'll find many insurance companies. "Insure my trip", "AIG", and "American Express". I've recently checked each out for my purposes and have chosen "American Express" although I've used AIG and Insure My Trip on past trips of mine.

Since I've prepaid several hotel through Priceline I have included those amounts also.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

to reply to Christina, i was under the (wrong) impression that LCC might need different insurance as in the full-frills airlines the airline itself would provide the compensation.