Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ISTANBUL - Suggestions for a 3 day visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming off a cruise in Istanbul. Can anybody suggest a 3 day itinerary as to the best 'sights' and areas in Istanbul to see and visit?
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Plenty of obvious things to do e.g. Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar (not that great in my opinion though), Basilica Cistern etc. Highlight of my trip though was going to the Chora church, it's a bit out of the way but the ancient frescoes are amazing. The ferry across the water is also a bargain, but probably not so interesting to someone on a cruise.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM

I was deployed with the USMC in 1992 at a small airfield a couple of hours west of Istanbul. Unfortunately we only had one day of liberty to visit this most interesting city. I wanted to see Saint Sophia (sp?) as I am a big Bond fan and "From Russia with Love" had a scene in this wonderfully historic place of worship. I also felt compelled to visit the covered bazaar. I really enjoyed the myriad of winding cave-like tunnels with all of the colorful presentations of seemingly endless gold jewelry and Persian rugs. Dealing with the vendors to get the best price was a hoot.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM

We did 6 days in Istanbul pre-cruise this past November. Best advice - pick up a copy of Rick Steve's Istanbul guidebook. He outlines a variety of DIY walking tours, including transportation options. You can pick and choose depending on your interests and stamina. If you have time, take the ferry over to the Asia side - it seemed to be less touristy and more "real".
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM

The highlights of my recent visit were the Chora and the Aya Sofia. The Chora is the one venue that is outside of the main tourist attractions, so you just have to set aside some time for that separately. You can do along walk, stopping at the very worthwhile Sulemeniye Mosque (Sorry, that is not the correct spelling). Or you can go to the bus station near the Galata Bridge and take public transportation - which is interesting - but which well not land you smack in front of the Chora, and you will still have to have good directions to get there. Pretty easy. Probably Rick Steves has all the details that you will need.

It will be very touristy in the larger places. Huge guided groups thronging. Kind of horrible. I found the Aya Sofia to be almost empty late in the day/early evening. Topkapi is a madhouse - and you need a lot of time there. Blue Mosque is beautiful, and right there, too - but not the most important place to see. On Friday thousands of men are inside praying.

The cisterns are worth seeing. Takes about half hour. The Grand Bazaar is just a walk up the street that the Tram runs on. And aproximately across that same Tram street from the Grand Bazaar entrance (one of them) is the Pierre Loti hotel, and you can go to the top for tea or a glass of wine and enjoy a really fabulous view of the Golden Horn.

So you can really see most of the major places in one long day - and there are plenty of places to stop for food or coffee during the day, so that you can recuperate and then march on!

In the evening you can walk across the Galata and up the Istiklal to Taksim. Many good restaurants and shops along the way, but mostly many people! The Trams get jammed with people, too, but that seems to be the norm so just push your way on and get with it!

Be careful - very careful - those crowded trams are the perfect place for pickpockets. You could never feel them because you are feeling the pressure of so many people at one time.

Also one time a companion got completely and blatantly groped! Yuck! And the guy could not have cared less that we yelled at him to get away and stop. Very bold.

But that was the only sort of bad thing that ever happened to me. The Turkish people were fabulous and I never felt unsafe for one minute.

I thought the half-day Bosphorus cruise was pleasant and interesting, and you must see the Dohlmabace Palace, too! That was my number 3!

Also - the tram is cheap and fast and easy - takes you from the Grand Bazaar to the Galata Bridge in a flash.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks all
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM

1. Chora. Go to Asitane next door for lunch or dinner.

2. Topkapi Palas. DO NOT SKIP the Harem.

3. Dolmabache Palas. Tackier than anything Liberace could throw together, but worth it for the spectacle.

4. Spice Market

5. Go to Ortakoy for the nightlife. Find a spectacular club and sip cocktails on a terrace overlooking the Bosphorus.

P_P, sweetie darling