Booking train tickets in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help!, I am travelling to Europe in September 2010, visting Amsterdam then to Munich for Ocktoberfest then touring Italy then 3 nights in Paris. I was looking at buying a Rail Pass but what I have read it might not be useful. I tried to understand the Italian rail site but it is confusing. Can someone help me out.
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 03:54 AM

How long is your total trip?

How long are you planning on visiting Italy?

Where do you wish to go?

How many people?

What is your budget range per person, including intra-continental travel (not airfare to get to Europe).
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

I will arrive in Venice from Munich on the 22 of September
there for 3 days then to Verona for 1 day then to Florence for 3 days then to siena for 2 days then rome for 3 days. While in Florence and Rome I would like to take a day trip to some other areas. There will be 2 people. 1000 dollars per person is the budget.
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 04:22 AM

So, if I am reading this correctly, you'll be in Europe for 12 days. You wish to travel to 5 places. Your budget comes to about $80 per person per day, including continental transportation. I am assuming the $1,000 pp is only for the time you have listed for Munich and Italy. If it includes Amsterdam and Paris, then I don't think you can accomplish this with that budget, as you would now be at about 17 days, which means less than $60 per person-per day.

As we often point out, people forget that travel days wipe out from 1/2 to a full day, each time you move. There is no getting around it. It cuts down time and increases costs. You probably want to consider cutting out 1 or 2 of your destinations, considering your time and budget.

What is your total time in Europe (from touch-down to take off)?

What do you really want to see and do?

Just how "budgety" are you willing to go?

The reason I ask, is if you are young and adventurous, you could do the "couch surfing" trip and save on much of your sleeping costs. This still doesn't get around the travel time or expense, but it does help with the budget.

dave
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
dave - I think the OP has 12 days in Italy plus additional days in the other cities before arriving Italy.

Venice/Verona - about 16€
Verona/Florence - 25€
Florence/Siena by bus - 6€
Siena/Rome by bus - 5-10€ (discount for advance purchase online from Sena Bus)

Some cities are better served by bus than train. For train prices/schedules you need to look at the Italian train company Trenitalia, not Raileurope. You must enter a date within the next 7 days for all prices/trains to show.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Day trips from Florence by train or bus will likely be around 10-15€. Many people day trip to Siena from Florence as it is only an hour by bus. The bus is the better option because it takes you to the center of the city. If you train, you will then have to get a bus from the train station to the center.

For bus between Siena and Rome, Sena bus is the best option. It's as fast as the train and much cheaper.
http://www.sena.it/index_e.htm

You won't really have time for a day trip from Rome with only three days.
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
ira

Hi AP,

>I will arrive in Venice ,,,there for 3 days then to Verona for 1 day then to Florence for 3 days then to siena for 2 days then rome for 3 days. While in Florence and Rome I would like to take a day trip to some other areas.<

At www.trenitalia.com, click English, enter Venezia and Verona - 1 hr on the fast train, 2 hr on the slow train. I would do Verona as a daytrip from Venice.

Same place for schedules from V to Florence. Buy your tickets when you arrive in Venice.

You can stay in Siena and visit Florence, or you can stay in Florence and visit Siena - about 1:30 hr by SITA bus. No need to change hotels. Bus station is at Via Santa Caterina de Siena in Florence (near the SMN station) and downtown Siena - about 6E.

With only 3 days in Rome, I suggest that you don't have time for additional trips.

You could take a day from F/Siena and add it to Rome - See Orvieto, 1 hr by train.

How are you getting to Paris?

Old Nov 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Simple.

Go to www.bahn.de.

Book the Amsterdam-Munich 'City Night Line' sleeper from just 59 euros with couchette, reservation included, and you print out your own ticket. Proper sleepers from 69 euros in 3-berth or 79 euros in 2-berth, all per person. See www.seat61.com/citynightline.htm to see what this train is actually like in each type of couchette or sleeper.

Still at www.bahn.de, book day trains or the sleeper from Munich to Venice or Rome, again from 59 euros with couchette.

Then use www.trenitalia.com to find train trims and fares within Italy, and buy tickets online IF you can persuade it to accept your US credit card (emails I get suggest it accepts 60% of UK credit cards, only 20-30% of US cards).

59 euros for a cheap ticket is cheaper than a railpass (50-60 euros per day?) plus the 20 euros couchette supplement.