Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Booking tickets on-line (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/booking-tickets-on-line-93713/)

JJ2000 Nov 14th, 2000 10:03 AM

Booking tickets on-line

My party is trying to book tickets on-line to take advantage of a web-only fare sale. However, all members need a passport number for purchasing via this airline's site; one member of our party doesn't have one yet because we aren't leaving for 4 months. Think we can use "fake" passport numbers in order to hold the reservation to take advantage of this soon-to-expire-sale until he gets his real passport? Too dangerous? Illegal? Stupid?

Diane Nov 14th, 2000 10:44 AM

I don't recall ever needing passport numbers to book/buy tickets.

AC Nov 14th, 2000 11:03 AM

Hi: <BR>Me, either. <BR>To answer your question...Fake passport number might belong to someone else. When is your travel companion planning on getting their passport. Seems kind of short on time. <BR>I do recall an "optional" field when booking for passport numbers. <BR>Have you tried booking wothout the number? What website are you trying? <BR>

JJ2000 Nov 14th, 2000 11:19 AM

Thanks. I tried to book on Sabena's site for their fare sale to Sweden. The passport number was a required field--I tried skipping it. Their telephone rep who I then spoke with said there needed to be a number inputed. I agree that a bogus number might match someone's actual number, but what I don't know is whether they actually check (I doubt it). I'm more concerned with either breaking the law, or having the tickets invalidated at a later date. Meanwhile, we are trying to expedite my brother-in-laws passport app, but tickets for this fare are going fairly fast.

Diane Nov 14th, 2000 11:31 AM

Try biztravel.com to see if they can match the Sabena fare (sometimes they can). I've used them for the last 3 months for both business and pleasure and had excellent luck. (Even got completely reimbursed when my daughter's flight was cancelled -- and she was provided alternate travel arrangements by the airline.) Sabena may or may not be one of their guaranteed carriers though...Good Luck!

AC Nov 14th, 2000 11:37 AM

HI: <BR>There might be a solution. Can someone purchase two tickets with one passport number? Does it ask for each person in the party's passport or can one person purchase two tickets. Can you get this fare over the phone or is it just valid on the web?

JJ2000 Nov 14th, 2000 11:39 AM

Hmmm, I like the idea of using a duplicate passport number from another of my party (there will be four of us; so we could have 3 identical numbers, and then my sister and her hubby could share her number for purposes of booking on-line). The sale is web only. <BR>Thanks everyone. Any additional insights would be appreciated.

JJ2000 Nov 14th, 2000 11:40 AM

I meant 3 unique numbers, not 3 identical ones. Ooops.