Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   booking the train from Pompeii to Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/booking-the-train-from-pompeii-to-rome-1044378/)

meaganc May 4th, 2015 05:09 AM

booking the train from Pompeii to Rome

Hi everyone,

I am just trying to figure out my transportation from Pompeii to Rome on Saturday July 25. I will have come to Pompeii from Positano and after my visit will be heading to Rome. I was informed to take the Circumvesuviano train? I am wondering if this can/should be booked in advance or whether you book it once you are there? Is this a train that comes every few minutes or only a few times a day? I just don't want to find out it is sold out and have no way to Rome. Any info on train times, how to buy tickets and the cost would be great.

I am going to Hotel Forte. Any advice as to which stop to take and if further transportation is needed at that point?

Also, I am thinking of potentially hiring a private transfer from Positano to Pompeii since the quoted price seemed pretty reasonable (70 euro). Where would I keep my luggage once I arrive?

Thanks!

PalenQ May 4th, 2015 05:52 AM

There is or was last time I knew a baggage storage at the entrance to the Scavi - the ruins at Pompeii - right at the CircumVesuviana's Pompeii Scavi station - which you will use to take a train from there to Naples - those are like metros - no advance purchase possible or needed - just a few euros to Naples - buy tickets at the station and yes those trains come all the time.

Naples to Rome Termini has various types of trains from slow stopping all the time regional ones to IC - faster trains only stopping at key cities and high-speed trains that may not stop at all between Naples and Rome - each of course costs more than the other. But if you book far far in advance at www.trenitalia.com then you can get deep discounted tickets much cheaper than just showing up, which is always possible.

IME folks on the trip of a lifetime with probably too much luggge should consider paying extra for first-class - IME a much more relaxed ride - try to the the solo seats - a row with just one seat in it - an aisle and window seat combined - couples can get these with a table in between - much better for storing bags by your seat, etc and no having to ask others to get up so you can get out and vice versa - seats are also more comfy and you get free beverage and snack en route. First-class also comes in discounted tickets which at times may be not much more than than the cheapest available 2nd class fare.

Some will say there is absolutely NO difference between classes and even to spend a single euro more is daft but IME there is a significant difference well worth the extra expense - especially on the trip of a lifetime!

For lots of great info on Italian trains check these informative sites: www.seat61.com - great info on discounted tickets as well as the significant difference between first and second class; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

meaganc May 4th, 2015 07:25 AM

Sorry PalenQ - I was just slighly confused with your email - I will need to go to Naples then to Rome? Can't I take a train from Pompeii straight to Rome?

I would much prefer to book this in advance if possible.

MmePerdu May 4th, 2015 07:50 AM

The Circumvesviana train is a commuter train, running back & forth between Naples main station (Centrale) and Sorrento and stops between. You'll arrive on the lower platform in Naples and walk up to the main station. No direct trains Pompeii to Rome.

meaganc May 4th, 2015 08:40 AM

Thank you. So to be clear - I cannot buy tickets online for the Circumvesviana train but there are lots available (as in won't be sold out?). For the train from Naples to Rome, I am assuming its best to buy online in advance to make sure they have seats available?

My guess is that it is smarter to do this plan (visit Pompeii on the commute from Positano to Rome) vs a day trip from Rome. Is this correct?

MmePerdu May 4th, 2015 10:27 AM

I've always thought the day trip from Rome to Pompeii sounded like too much. That time of year it may also feel like a lot between Positano & Rome. It's hard to say without more information about your itinerary.

Regarding the Circumvesuviana, if there's room to stand, there's room on the train. I've had to stand but always got on. Buy tickets to Rome in advance mainly for best prices.

kybourbon May 4th, 2015 10:50 AM

>>>Can't I take a train from Pompeii straight to Rome?<<<

There are some trains from Pompei's other train stations (not the Circumvesuviana station), but those stations are quite a trek from Pompeii (the ruins). The Circumvesuviana station is right across the street from the entrance to the ruins.

If you used one of the other stations in Pompei to catch a Trenitalia train, you would be getting a slow train that takes hours longer to reach Rome or simply a slow train to Naples where you would still need to change trains for Rome.

>>>I was informed to take the Circumvesuviano train? I am wondering if this can/should be booked in advance<<<

No, it can't. It's similar to taking a subway (cost is few euro). Everyone just crowds on.

>>>Is this a train that comes every few minutes or only a few times a day? <<<

Every 30 minutes.

How do you intend to get from Positano to Pompeii or to Positano at all?

>>>Hotel Forte<<<

Take a Trenitalia train from Naples Centrale to Rome Termini (70 minutes and at least hourly, probably more). At Rome Termini, you can change to the metro (it's a couple of stops from there to the Spanish Steps stop). You can easily walk from the Spanish Steps to your hotel in a couple of minutes. Watch your belongings on the subway as it's usually packed between Termini and all the touristy stops. Otherwise, take a taxi from Termini.

meaganc May 4th, 2015 11:18 AM

Thanks so much everyone! Is Pompeii worth the visit with all the extra running around involved? I will not be back so if we don't go we wont be going so to speak.

We were planning to hire a private car from Positano to Pompeii because it was being offered to us at 70 euro - I was thinking this was a decent price? Otherwise we would have to take a bus then a train to Pompeii.

If we cut out Pompeii and head straight to Rome, the train is very inexpensive (35 euro for both of us since it is a Saturday). In that case we would likely take the ferry from Positano to Salerno (or the bus) then the train to Rome. '

Also is a guide needed?

Blueeyedcod May 5th, 2015 01:16 AM

No one can tell you if Pompeii is 'worth the visit' - only you can make that call.
Personally, in terms of a beautiful example of Pompeii-era architecture and art I prefer the stand-alone villas of Oplontis and Stabiae. They are seldom visited - in fact you may even have them all to yourselves as I have. The Stabian villas are also free admission. They were buried by the same eruption as Pompeii.

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/dont-...an-villas.html

http://oplontisproject.org/the-villas/

worldinabag May 5th, 2015 03:03 AM

Hi

Pompei is definitely worth it. I suggest doing an easy return day trip from Positano. You will obviously have to forego a day in Positano but a lot less hectic. It really depends how much time you have in Positano.

MmePerdu May 5th, 2015 08:35 AM

If you decide that it's too much to do on your way to Rome and you don't want to give up an entire day while you're in Positano, I suggest you visit Herculaneum instead. Also on the Circumvesuviana line, it's much smaller than Pompeii but very satisfying. You can see a bit of it here, on my blog:
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/herculaneum-79-a-d

Another possibility is Ostia Antica, very near Rome, while you're there. The ruins of Rome's ancient port, it has the advantage of being wonderfully tree-filled and shady. http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/a-day-among-the-ruins-1

PalenQ May 5th, 2015 11:54 AM

Ostia Antica to me rivaled Pompeii and in ancient times I believe was the much more important place - being the port of Rome - you see the old fish market and other structures similar to Pompeii's in that they're kind of half-standing - not complete ruins. So if in the Pompeii area I think Pompeii would be tops on my list if time precludes check out Ostia Antica, a short Rome metro ride from the town center.

But going to the Pompeii area and not seeing Pompeii IMO is missing out on such a famous and yes remarkable and poignant site. Would be at the very top of my hit list for the area and has been three times. Kind of shocked at how shoddily Italy's has kept the place with unauthorized locals surreptitiously selling alleged bits of it to tourists, etc. - but not being in pristine conditions like Germany say would have it only to me makes it more romantic - kind of anyway.

bvlenci May 5th, 2015 01:31 PM

If you've dragged excessive luggage onto the raggedy Circumvesuviana train, sharing your space with panhandlers and exigent accordian players, while on your "trip of a lifetime", believe me, 2nd class on the Frecciarossa will seem like the Orient Express.

If you're not sure you'd enjoy the trip to Pompeii, then it's probably not worth the logistics of getting there. It's certainly much easier to get to Rome from Salerno.

While you're in Rome, if you skip Pompeii, you might enjoy a visit to Ostia Antica, the often-overlooked archaeological site of Rome's ancient port city. It's even slightly larger than Pompeii, and covers a much longer period of Roman history, as it was a flourishing port for over 500 years. It was a much more cosmopolitan city, and has a wider variety of buildings.

www.ostia-antica.org

I actually find Ostia Antica more interesting. It's also much less crowded, and much cooler in the summer.

bvlenci May 5th, 2015 01:56 PM

I was having trouble signing in for several hours; when I returned to my computer I found myself magically signed in while I was away. I see that in the meantime several others have recommended Ostia Antica.

Ostia Antica was definitely a much more important town than Pompeii, and its ruins represent a much wider sweep of ancient history. Outside the archaeological site, you can see the medieval castle, which was originally built (although modified later) to protect the remaining inhabitants of ancient Ostia from Saracen invaders who periodically ransacked the town, when Rome was no longer powerful enough to frighten off marauders.