Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   booking rooms over email (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/booking-rooms-over-email-398382/)

kellbell Feb 12th, 2004 09:30 AM

booking rooms over email

Hi! As I'm making hotel room reservations for my trip to Italy, I'm beginning to be concerned about security. I'm emailing hotels requesting information about availability and rates, and then they email me back telling me to send a credit card number via email or fax to reserve a room. I've emailed a credit card number twice now -- not through a secured internet site. Am I potentially putting myself at risk or is this a fairly standard practice? I never think twice about using the Internet, but email might be a different story. . .

yk Feb 12th, 2004 09:36 AM

Despite correspondence via email with hotels, I always fax the hotels when it comes to CC#s. Somehow I feel safer that way.

kellbell Feb 12th, 2004 09:39 AM

The only problem is I only have access to a fax at work and can't really fax internationally. I suppose I could go to Kinko's or something. . . but not so convenient. Basically, email is my best option.

I hope no one tells me any horror stories! I'm going to be one of those commercials where the 20-year old girl's voice comes out of the 80-year old man's body talking about credit card fraud.

sme Feb 12th, 2004 09:39 AM

Probably better to fax them your credit card info. E-mail is not secure, and has none of the security features of an e-com site. It's possible for a fax to get nabbed too, but much less likely, especially if you state clearly what charge you are authorizing and the amount.

Jocelyn_P Feb 12th, 2004 09:40 AM

Can you call them with your CC info?

jenifer Feb 12th, 2004 09:40 AM

This topic has come up here before, so if you do a search you can probably read many opinions on the topic.

But really, it comes down to how comfortable you feel doing it. Fax or phone is always an option if you don't like emailing.

I personally don't have a problem sending CC info via internet. My CC number and exp date is out there all over the place, just because I use my card in stores. And I feel the odds of someone trying to intercept my credit card number and use it are pretty low. Plus, I'm covered for liability - it's the bank that would have to take the hit.

So, all in all, I feel it's very low risk to send CC info via email, so I don't hesitate to do it. Others don't feel it's worth the risk and prefer other methods.

ira Feb 12th, 2004 09:42 AM

Hi kellbell,

If you are concerned, send them part of your card number in one eml and the rest of it along with the expiration date in another.

Dick Feb 12th, 2004 09:44 AM

If you must send CC info by email, send the number over two emails. The odds that both emails wil be intercepted by the same perosn is very remote.

While the bank may ultimately "take the hit"...it can really be a pain having to resolve this with some banks.

kellbell Feb 12th, 2004 09:46 AM

Very tricky, Ira and Dick! That's a good idea. What's the liklihood someone would be able to intercept both messages. . . I like it.

Can't call because I don't have a landline at home and only use a cellphone and my plan doesn't include international calling. Will probably get a prepaid international calling card.

I know, it is ridiculous. I agree with you Jenifer. . . the numbers are out there all over the place.

Appreciate the insights and ideas. I'll continue to email but split them in two. Thanks!

kismetchimera Feb 12th, 2004 09:46 AM

I use my e-mail with CC numbers all the time..never had any problems...Of course there is always the first time in Life...

JonJon Feb 12th, 2004 09:58 AM

Are you aware that your credit card issuer limits your liability for mis-use of credit card/number to $50?
Do you have any idea what happens to those faxes you are sending..who sees them on the other end and furthermore do you have any more assurance that a fax arrived than an e-mail arrived...and just because your fax machine says".....# of pages sent" doesn't mean it got there nor do you have any readily-available record that you ever faxed it.
Pros and cons I suppose to both options...but IMO I think you're getting more worried than you should be.

Christina Feb 12th, 2004 10:20 AM

I don't worry bout such things myself, the idea of someone intercepting my particular email in cyberspace and using my CC number is less than most other problems, in my opinion. NOne of the solutions are any better -- someone else could get your FAX (and I personally have received other people's FAXes at my job as they punched in the number wrong) and if you think someone is intercepting your email out in space or something, don't you think someone could listening to your phone calls?

Well, I just don't have time to worry about stuff like that -- as someone else said, I worry a lot more about all the store clerks and waiters having it than my email. Besides, all you have to do is tell your credit card company as soon as you get a bill with a bogus charge.

kellbell Feb 12th, 2004 10:22 AM

Ok. . . that's all true for a credit card (re: bank handling the fraud).

What about Visa check cards? Link right into your checking account. Is the same type of protection afforded, do you think? I checked with my bank and they have an automatic security protection thing on it. . . but just imagine, instant access to your entire checking account. Again, probably unlikely. (knock on wood)

ira Feb 12th, 2004 10:27 AM

Hi kellbell,

You don't give anyone your debit card number or your pin number for just that reason.

Dick Feb 12th, 2004 10:52 AM

I am something of a consumer advocate.

Although you may eventually be relieved of liability, you may need to prove your innocence. Some banks will require affidavits or notarized statements before removing the charges.
The banks will want you to swear that you didn't give your card out to someone else (ie ..an authorized charge).

You may win the battle....but it can still be a time consuming pain.

aeiger Feb 12th, 2004 01:52 PM

Hi
I recently made a reservation for a hotel in Rome using e-mail. I received back a confirmation and did give them a credit card #. I have had no problems. The hotel was expecting us and gave us a nice room. So far it's been ok. I've used e-mail before to make reservations in Europe and have had no problems.
alan

Dallas Feb 12th, 2004 06:23 PM

I communicate with the hotels to establish a price, size of room and availability. When I'm ready to make a reservation, I e-mail the hotel that I will be sending the CC information via regular mail. I always mark the letter to the attention of the person I've been communicating with. I also ask for an e-mail confirmation after they receive my letter. I then print their confirmation for my records.

Works for me.

Melnq8 Feb 12th, 2004 08:07 PM

I make my inquiries via e-mail, then send my CC details via fax using the computer, as I don't have a fax machine. It's easy enough to do - all you need is a fax program and a fax modem. Windows XP has a built in fax program.

I then follow-up via e-mail to ensure my fax was received. I print the confirmation and take it with me on my trip.

OOPs...just read that you don't have a phone line at home - guess the faxing via computer won't work for you.

I'm not the least bit comfortable sending CC details via e-mail as I feel it's just looking for trouble. If I were forced to do it though, I'd definitely send the CC number in parts, as has been suggested.

Patrick Feb 12th, 2004 08:13 PM

Add me to the list who throws caution to the wind. Having booked probably 120 hotels in Europe by email over the past 5 years, nearly all including credit card details, and never having the slightest problem, I just continue to do it that way.
But yes, I always print out my email confirmation and take with me.

Jackie Feb 14th, 2004 09:32 AM

I sent my credit card via email twice this week. Both times I sent half the number on two different days. Since I'm not comfortable calling overseas, it seem safer than faxing. I have received confirmations back from both B&Bs and will be watching my credit card activity.