London On My Own

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Kim

London On My Own

Complete advice needed on everything. On the way to Spain I have one full day and a night in London. I'm traveling by myself and my number one concern is safety. Not sure yet if I'm flying into Heathrow or Gatwick, but what is the safest economical way (while managing all my luggage)to get into town? Once dropped off at a tube/bus/train station, what would be a recommended hotel that I could get to easily/safely from a drop off point? And finally, what should I do with my one day? Any city tour companies to recommend? It's in November, so Buckingham Palace is not open. I thought I might like to visit St. Paul's (worthwhile?). I also would like to have afternoon tea. Thanks!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Linda

Probably the safest yet economical way to get from the airport to your hotel is by a shuttle service. If you do a search on this site, you will find numerous suggestions. I can't suggest one in particular, but there have been numerous postings lauding Swiss Cottage. Though more expensive than the tube or the express train, you won't have to worry about hefting your own luggage around. And it's cheaper than taxi.

My real suggestion is for something to do with your day. I'd take a hop-on-hop-off bus tour. There are a number of them but I'd recommend Big Bus, though they are all similar. Taking this tour will allow you to see many sights from the outside--and for some that's all you want, like Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, or the Houses of Parliament. (I know, Parliament is worth a visit, but you won't have time in one day.) The tour guide patter will give you a lot of information on the places you are seeing. You can get off anywhere you want to visit a specific sight, like St. Paul's, then get back on, but on the tour will get to see a lot of places in the short time you have. It will also be easier on your body after you have taken that overnight flight from the States and are flagging from jetlag.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 11:27 AM
janis

Couldn't be easier - both LHR and LGW have fast safe train connections to central London. About 30 minites from Gatwick to Victoria and 15 minutes from Heathrow to Paddington.

For just overnight I would not drag all my luggage with me (Actually I never have to drag tons of luggage since I pack light - but that is another story)

Anyway, both LHR and LGW have left luggage facilities where you leave your extra bags w/ an attendant (not lockers per se but attended storage areas). It will cost you but for only one night it will be a big help.

There are literally hundreds of safe inexpensive hotels and B&Bs in London. before recommending any - find out which airport you are using since it helps if you are in an area convenient to the train station you use to get back to the airport.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Henry

Kim: to get from the airport to London I would consider the tube or the AirBus.Since you only have 1 day I would nail down your hotel ahead of time so as not to waste time in London.With ony 1 day I would concentrate a couple of sites e.g the Tower,St Pauls & Westminster Abbey.For the evening consider seeing a play.Enjoy.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 11:46 AM
janis

Henry - the tube only works for LHR and takes more than an hour. AirBus only goes from LHR to the north side (ending at Kings Cross) and take more than an hour, and from Gatwick to Victoria - takes 90 minutes.

Kim's time is very limited, I wouldn't spend 3 hours hours of it just getting into/out of town on the tube or bus.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Lori

Kim,
In your case I'd take either the Heathrow Express or Gatwick Express into London. If you take the Heathrow Express you come into Paddington Station. Get a hotel right by the station, there are lots in the area (I stay in apartments in London so I am not up on all hotels, but I know there are a lot of them near by). If you take the Gatwick Express you come into Victoria Station - again get a hotel right by Victoria. Within walking distance is what I am talking about - like across the street or down the block. You do not want to waste time with cabs/tube/etc. You should be able to check back in for your flight to Spain at the train station as well.
If you are interested in having a driver service pick you up and take you directly to your hotel (or back to a/p) check out www.london-transfers.com. We use them when we go to London, very reliable and safe, about 35 pounds into London from Heathrow, a little less going out.

St. Paul's is easily reached by Bus #15 if you want to take a regular London Bus (probably a couple of other routes too, I think #23 but not sure). The hop on and hop off bus might be best for you, or else take a 1/2 bus sightseeing tour of London (check EvansEvans Tours, a friend did several and liked them).

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:09 PM
helen

Hi Kim, Just wanted to second Janis' advice about leaving extra bags at the airport--it is only a few dollars, and will make things much more convenient. You can just bring your toothbrush and a change of clothes w/ you. Then, you can take the tube to get into the city w/o lugging your bags around--if you are feeling reasonably chipper after what's likely to be an overnight flight, you won't even need to stop off at the hotel. (And w/o luggage, you can take the tube into the city w/o having to worry too much about pickpockets, who often bump people's luggage, etc to distract you to get at your wallet). Can't help w/ hotels--I stayed near Holland Park a few years ago in a small hotel for about 50 pounds/night in the "shaft room," ie next to the elevator (when they offered it to me over the phone, I momentarily wondered if I was being insulted). Hopefully you can do a little better.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:53 PM
elvira

LHR to London via Heathrow Express. Norfolk Square, spittin' distance of Paddington (where the Express ends) is Norfolk Square, lots of hotels. Do a Yahoo or other search for Ashley Hotel.

LGW to London via Gatwick Express. St George's Street, spittin' distance from Victoria (where the Express ends), lots of hotels. Do a Yahoo or other search for Arden Hotel.

Outside of each station you can pick up one of the hop on/hop off buses that'll take you to all the top spots. Hop off at St Paul's, hop back on another bus for the next leg....

We've had tea at Harrod's which was fun; others have recommended Brown's Hotel
http://www.brownshotel.com/dining/thedrawingroom.htm

I solo travel to London quite often, and always feel safe. Use your common sense and you will, too.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:33 PM
mimi taylor

One year I spent the night at The Grovsner, right at victoria station. The staffwas wonderful, there were no chairs in the lobby because they wanted to avoid loiters. The tube has an entrance right into the hotel. I have not stayed there in a couple of years. I would be interested in hearing from those who have .

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 05:32 AM
Julie

Kim, Should you decide to use a car service due the limited time you have in London, the phone # for Swiss Cottage Car Service is: 207-431-2700. Although it's November, again considering how little time you have, I would recommend booking a hotel prior to arrival. And finally, although everyone on this board has an opinion on where to have tea, since I usually am travelling solo I have always enjoyed tea at Brown's Hotel. I know if you do a search on this board for "tea" you will come up with tons of suggestions - just bear in mind some of these will require reservations.