Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Booking a Train to Bayeux from Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/booking-a-train-to-bayeux-from-paris-481879/)

ashelybeau Oct 22nd, 2004 07:57 AM

Booking a Train to Bayeux from Paris

I'm booking 2 roundtrip train tix Paris/Bayeux for the middle of November on www.sncf.fr When I check the conditions and rules it states that I must pick up the tickets 7 days after making a reservation...Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I wait to book my train travel a few days before leaving for Paris? Oh, I will be boarding the train the same day my plane arrives in Paris.

Underhill Oct 22nd, 2004 10:05 AM

ttt

Huitres Oct 22nd, 2004 10:31 AM

I would just wait and buy them in Paris if I were you. I did this same Paris-Bayeux-Paris routing with my brother a couple years back in October and it was no problem getting our tickets the day of our travel.

StCirq Oct 22nd, 2004 10:31 AM

ashleybeau:

I don't know if you're using the French or English website, but on the French site, it's pretty clear. You have three options when you get to the part of the site where you choose your method of getting the tickets:

The first option is to have the tickets mailed to you (actually NOT an option if you don't reside in France).

The second option is to pick up your tickets at any SNCF station or boutique at any time until the train departs, and to pay online NOW with a credit card.

The third option, which is the one I think is confusing you, is just to RESERVE the seat, but not pay for it right now. If you choose that option, you have to go to a train station or SNCF boutique by a certain date (in the case of your Bayeux trip within 7 days of the booking) to pay for and pick up the ticket.

So, you want the second option.

Bonne chance!

Christina Oct 22nd, 2004 10:35 AM

Somebody asks this question about once a week on here, there have been a lot of posts if you want to read them. What do you mean by "booking" your train ticket? Because you do not have to pick them up in 7 days if you buy them in advance (ie, completely prepay with a credit card online). You DO have to pick them up shortly if you merely try to reserve without paying for them, or else they are cancelled.

Is that basically what the conditions and rules sayu? That's always what I have read and experienced.

If you really want these tickets booked in advance, you have to prepay them and pick them up at a train station.

ashelybeau Oct 22nd, 2004 11:07 AM

Thank you StCirq! You are right, the reservation only option was confusing me. Thanks for answering my question.

goatee Oct 22nd, 2004 11:28 AM

What on earth does "ttt" mean? I see it very often on here.

ira Oct 22nd, 2004 11:30 AM

to the top.

It brings the thread back to the head of the line.

clevelandbrown Oct 22nd, 2004 11:40 AM

To The Top. You also see "Topping" in the same context. Each time a reply is posted to a message, the message goes to the top of the listing of messages, so if you want to keep a message at or near the top, you top it. One other advantage is that it adds the message to your record, so you can later find the message by clicking on your screen name. For example, I am about to leave for two weeks to avoid the political ads that are ALL OVER (isn't it strange how all the campaign reform laws passed to take money out of politics seem to end up putting more money into politics?). If I wanted to view this posting when I come back, I could top it and find it easily by clicking on my name when I return, often a lot easier than going through hundreds of postings that will be made while I am gone.

goatee Oct 22nd, 2004 11:40 AM

Oh.. and what's the point of that?

goatee Oct 22nd, 2004 11:42 AM

Ah OK. Very interesting.. Thanks!

suze Oct 22nd, 2004 12:06 PM

Goatee- As you just demonstrated, it isn't just "TTT" or "topping". Adding anything to any thread brings it back to the #1 spot on the Europe board, until the next person posts anything anywhere.

tmh Oct 23rd, 2004 07:33 AM

As per Huires, just wait til you get there.

I was there for the 60th Anniversary of D-Day in early June and had no problem getting a ticket. In fact, it seemed most folks got off at the stop for Giverny (Vernon?). In Nov, you've eliminated that crowd.