Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Booking a hotel in La Maddalena, Sardinia

Booking a hotel in La Maddalena, Sardinia

Jan 29th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Patrick

Booking a hotel in La Maddalena, Sardinia

This past year there was a very interesting article in Travel and Leisure about La Maddalena and surrounding area. Two small hotels were recommended: Gabbiano which is supposed to be on the edge of the small port, and Giuseppe Garibaldi which is apparently above the port. Although I have found phone and fax numbers, I just keep getting recordings when I call them -- and unfortunately cannot begin to understand the Italian I'm getting. I would try to book through venere or someone else, but I can't seem to get any of the regular booking sources, including venere to recognize the names. Does anyone have any knowledge of how I can contact either of these places? Email addresses? I thought perhaps that either or both were closed for the season and that is the recording I'm getting, but I am not sure.
The fax number I have for Giuseppe Garibaldi is 011-39-0789-737-326, then on a website I did see their fax listed as being 314 (the last three digits different), but I still get the same recording.

Jan 29th, 2002, 08:42 AM
GAC

Patrick, apart from the U.S. Military, much of La Maddalena is shut down for the winter. I would try to contact the tourist office there for more information. You can get their phone and fax numbers from Cadogan Guide or Rough Guide. By the way, my experience in dealing with Sards is that their pronunciation of standard Italian is considerably more "precise" than that of the Sicilians, or for that matter, the Neapolitans (perhaps due to the influence of the Piemontesi for over a century?). The Sard dialect is, of course, totally incomprehensible!!!!!!

Search this Thread