Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Booking a Flight with 2 Legs Because it's cheaper, when I really only want to go to the layover city and get off. Can I?

Search

Booking a Flight with 2 Legs Because it's cheaper, when I really only want to go to the layover city and get off. Can I?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgive me for posting this on the "wrong" board, but I have peeked in on this forum and it seems that some of you, at least, are either pilots or former pilots. You may be able to answer my question:
I am trying to make plans to fly from the east coast to Los Angeles. The ITA software shows a great flight to San Francisco via a two hour LAX layover. What happens if I fly to Los Angeles and simply get off the plane there? No checked luggage, obviously. But would I have to let the airline know I wasn't traveling on because of some "problem"? Yes, before you say anything, I know airlines do not condone this practice. But they should realize that, if a person can save $100 off the cost of a flight by not even taking the last leg, somebody's going to try it. The question is, how much trouble does it cause? "

[this is a repost; realize I gave it a heading the first time that would not invite response]
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:06 PM

if you are only going one way it should not be aproblem unless youdo it often.
if you are tryimg to go round trip (ie NY-SF-LA-SF-NY) then if you get off in the middle they will cancll the rest of your flight.
goes without saying don;t give your FF #
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Right oh. Thinking I would just get off with my rollaboard, then call them about an hour into the 3-hour layover and say I did not feel well enough to get back on. Then at least they could re-sell the seat. Doesn't that seem fair??
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 11:28 PM

They will "re-sell" the seat anyway and have every right to do so if you don't show (back) up at the gate by a certain number of minutes prior to departure (that number of minutes probably stated somewhere on the particular airline's website or the ticket envelope).

I would give my FF number anyway especially if you are going to suddenly "get sick." You would, hopefully, get credit for the segment you did fly and after all, you paid for it. Nobody is going to come "after you."
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM

seriously DON't enter your FF # - if the aireline has any inkling you booked the trip intending to get off early they can (and do!) revoke your miles....and while it's rare they CAN try and charge you the difference in
f re....