Book tic in US (in advance) or in Rome?

Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:04 AM
MTU
Original Poster

Book tic in US (in advance) or in Rome?

I will be in Rome 7/13-7/18, planning to take the train to Venice then back to Rome 7/18-7/20. Do you recommend that I book it online in advance here in the US. Or can I wait to buy the tics there while in Rome?
Need help if suggestion is to book online in advance as I can't read Italian? I belive the train ride is about 4.5hrs long if I go on Eurostar? Thank you!
Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:05 AM

I booked on line and it was easy. If your plans are fixed, I don't see why you wouldn't go ahead and get the tickets taken care of.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM

You don't need to read Italian to book. The trenitalia site is also in English:

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index2.html

And yes, if you know the dates you are travelling, then book in advance. You can often get special offers (like 29Euro for first class) that are only available online in advance.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:48 AM
mada1978

Do it in advance to get a special price! also remember to get to the train station early and print your ticket. Also make sure to stamp it before you leave as the fine is 100 euro per person is not validated!! Have an enjoyable trip! If you want suggestions on excellent B&B in Rome and Florence let me know!! Ciao

Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
ira

Hi MTU,

If you can get the 29E tickets online, it is much better to do it now.

If you know which train you want, it is better to do it now.

Otherwise, you can always buy a ticket in Rome from any travel agent or train station.

Jun 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM

I booked the eurostar online and printed the email confirmation. On the train, the guy punched in my confirmation number on his blackberry, then printed a ticket on his portable printer. I did not need to have my ticket printed or validated in advance.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
MTU
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I will book it online today.
Jul 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM
JaneRebecca

I'm a little confused here:

One person says to get to the station early (how early?) to print out your ticket. (Are there machines where you put in your credit card and get out your ticket? Explain how this works, please.)

Another person says that you can take your email confirmation on the train without validation and the whole thing can be printed and validated on board.

Another says that you must be validated, no matter what, before you get on board or there is a fine.

Can anyone clarify this for me?
Many thanks ( a nervous traveler!) Jane

Jul 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM
ira

Hi Jane,

>One person says to get to the station early (how early?) to print out your ticket. (Are there machines where you put in your credit card and get out your ticket? Explain how this works, please.)<

About :30 - :45 hr early

There are ticket machines.

Click the British flag for directions in English. It helps to have written down which train you want.

>Another person says that you can take your email confirmation on the train without validation and the whole thing can be printed and validated on board.

That's only if you buy your tickets online at www.trenitalia.com

>Another says that you must be validated, no matter what, before you get on board or there is a fine.

That's if you have a ticket for a regular train, because these tickets are good on any train for a number of months. ES* tickets needn't be validated because they are good for one train only.

OK?

Jul 1st, 2006, 11:48 AM
JaneRebecca

Thank you Ira! Yes, o.k.!
That was very clear. So, if I buy my Eurostar ticket, on line-- which I gather has to be no more than 30 days in advance of departure date-- then I give my email confirmation to the conductor on the train, and he prints out the ticket. Or, even if I buy a Eurostar ticket from a travel agent in Florence it does not need to be validated before getting on the train.

I get it! Thank you again.

I probably should start another thread for this but while I have your attention Ira I was wondering about whether to fly from Venice back to Rome airport which will be the day before my departure back to the U.S. or take the train to Rome and then train or taxi out to the airport. I will be staying near the airport that last night. It seems more direct to fly but not sure. What do you think?

Jul 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM

Hi Jane Rebecca, I am not Ira obviously but if it was me I would take the train to Rome from Venice (the Santa Lucia train station) and then the train to the airport. I assume you will be either staying at the Hilton at the Rome airport or perhaps the Holiday Inn which is close by? At least for me that would be simplier then getting from Venice to the Marco Polo Airport in Venice..but do not know if Ira would agree.

I am almost certain that you can buy your Eurostar train ticket 60 days in advance versus 30 days in advance.

Do have a beautiful time in Italy!!
Jul 1st, 2006, 07:51 PM
JaneRebecca

Thanks LoveItaly. So, I gather it's a big schlepp to Marco Polo?
I don't have a reservation yet for the last night near the Rome airport and was hoping for an alternative to the Hilton or Holiday Inn.

I hope to have a wonderful time in Italy. How could I not?

Jul 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM

MTU, sorry for highjacking your thread!

Hi JaneRebecca, if one is flying out of the MarcoPolo Airport it is a bit of a schlepp but doable. And if you want to fly to Rome I wouldn't discourage you. It is just that my thinking is that it is easier to take the train (I do love trains although I have no problems flying). Probably six of one and half a dozen of the other so to speak.

I don't know any other hotels near the Rome airport except for the Hilton and the Holiday Inn, but there probably are some. And depending on the time your flight leaves Rome in the morning (some flights are so early) you could possibly spend the last night in Rome and have your hotel arrange for a taxi to take you to the airport in the morning. Just a thought. I know you will "love Italy", it is a beautiful and fantastic country to visit.