Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Book September Island accomodations in advance?

Notices

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 07:56 AM
Ann

I am going to the Cyclades islands in early-mid September and would like to know if I can just show up and find inexpensive lodging upon arrival in port? Any recommendations of nice but simple places to stay in Santorini, Mykonos, etc?

Also, any recommendations on an itinerary for 7 days from Athens to the Cyclades?

Any advice much appreciated!

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:39 PM
Thyra

Ann, we are going to Greece and the Cyclades in October and I already booked our rooms, but that is because I like to book way in advance so that I don't have to spend time searching for a room once I get there, and also I like to pick a nice location and stick in a strict budget which also is easier when you book in advance. That said, I do not think you will NEED to have reservations in advance in September, and from what other people have mentioned rooms should be relatively easy to come by. It is just a question of how you like to travel and how tied in you are to budget/location etc.
Just FYI we are staying at the Loucas Hotel on Santorini which was mentioned on this forum and got positive reviews. It's only $70.00 per night, located in Fira right on the caldera rim, (a lot of people suggest Oia but we like night life and opted to be closer to the city center)price includes transfers.I suggest you check out www.greektravel.com it is a non-profit site run by a gentle man in the midwest, and it is full of information on Greece including an alphabetical break down, with photos of all the islands. I found it invaluable in planning our October trip. Have a great time.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 05:40 PM
Susan

Ann, my husband and I are also going to Greece in September. We've ended up booking some of our accommodation in advance, although I don't think it's really necessary. I looked at what we're planning to do and what the timeframes were and made my decisions based on that. For example, we are flying from Canada to Rhodes (changing planes in Athens of course). I figured that after such a long trip, we'd really be too tired to look for a hotel. On the other hand, we're then planning to go Turkey for a few days and we haven't made any arrangements there - we'll find a place when we arrive. (I've done a lot of reading and research on the internet, so I'm fairly confident that we won't have a problem.) After Turkey, we are flying from Rhodes to Santorini - the flight apparently arrives at 11 PM and I know I won't want to start to look for a hotel at that point. So I've booked a hotel in Santorini.

In terms of your itinerary, if you've only got 7 days, you'll probably only get to 2 islands. You don't mention whether you're planning to fly or use the ferries, but if time is limited, you might want to fly from Athens to an island. We're planning to spend a few days on Naxos after we leave Santorini. I was there years ago and have fond memories of the island - I have always wanted to go back. The hydrofoil between Santorini and Naxos is a fairly short trip and then we'll fly back to Athens from Naxos.

I'm sure you'll have fun - I'm really getting excited about my trip!

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Kam

Hi, Visited Greek Islands, Sept 99... Only reservations we made, were on Santorini, because we wanted to stay on the caldera. We traveled to Ios, Naxos, Mykonos, Tinos, Delos, & Athens and never needed a reservation. We enjoyed being able to bargin & never had a problem finding a place. September is start of low season & accomodations are plentiful. Enjoy your trips!

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 09:14 AM
Martina

Hi,

it's not absolutely necessary, but helpful. September is still quite a busy month.

Find lots more info on this on my Web site (for example under "Q&A")

www.paros-online.com

including a nice accommodation! (A few vacancies left

Ciao,
Martina