Book recommendation/Spain/non-fiction

Jul 21st, 2000, 01:11 PM
michele

Book recommendation/Spain/non-fiction

Here's a new title for all readers of travel literature and especially those interested in Spain ( Southern Spain to be exact):

SPANISH LESSONS: Beginning a new life in Spain by Derek Lambert. It's in the same vein as Peter Mayle and Bill Bryson, except Mr. Lambert is a foreign correspondent who has lived in Israel, Hong Kong, Gibraltar, and Russia to name a few spots; so he's no babe in the woods to adjusting to different places. The house he and his wife fall in love with is, of course, not in great shape, but the setting, Alicante, and the lemon grove make it impossible to pass-up. As a sucker for old houses and a lover of Spain, I found this to be irresistable.

Jul 23rd, 2000, 04:53 PM
gail

Another book along the same lines and very enjoyable: Driving Over Lemons by Chris Stewart.

Jul 23rd, 2000, 08:57 PM
maria

Two thumbs up from me for both books...my husband got me "Driving Over Lemons" for my birthday and I got him "Spanish Lessons" for his! They both show great love and respect for the Spanish people while at the same time noting the sometimes hilarious differences in attitude and approach to daily living. I read Frances Mayes book about Tuscany which by about halfway through I thought was ridiculous with all the swooning over every broken down wall they discover and manage to stagger through all their troubles with a steady supply of esppressso machines and Italian sportscars, etc... The two books mentioned above at least provide some realistic frustration about what it might be like to take on similar restoration work. Maria

Jul 24th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Tammy

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm planning a trip to Spain next year, and these are the type of books I'm looking for. The books mentioned reminded me of one I read a couple of years ago about a couple moving/living in Portugal, "A Cottage in Portugal". Thanks again.

Jul 24th, 2000, 07:49 AM
michele

Many thanks, Gail, for DRIVING OVER LEMONS, I will request it from the library today.

Maria, as someone who had overhauled two houses here in the USA, Frances Mayes' syrupy prose and PollyAnna attitude made me want want to gag. (Although she is a fellow shoe devotee so I had to reign in my disgust at her rhapsodizing over every bit of broken plumbing and crumbling walls).Have you read ON PERSEPHONE'S ISLAND by Mary Taylor Simeti..much more realistic and far more insightful.

Thanks for the recommendation,
Michele

Jul 24th, 2000, 07:58 AM
michele

Tammy,
Also, thanks! just requeted A COTTAGE IN PORTUGAl,also.

I am putting together a "Travel Book"list for my high schoolers (all college prep kids), so any other titles similar to the above are very helpful.

(Not Europe, but Andre Aciman's OUT OF EGYPT is superb; a gorgeous piece of writing that transports you to Alexandria before Nassar and brings his unique childhood experience to life).No one could invent his family.

Jul 24th, 2000, 09:33 AM
maria

Just for fun, hope nobody is mad that this is a tangent...for fiction for Spain lovers I loved Arturo Perez Reverte's Seville Commumion which is set you-know-where! Although I tried to read another novel of his (the one about the Dumas book collector and the devil which is now a movie) and could not find my way through it with any amount of determination. The all-time classic for Spain non-fiction, in my mind, is the utterly endearing Journey to the Alcarria by Camilo Jose Cela written many, many years ago. And I really loved Iberia by Michener but several friends did not share my enthusiasm.

Happy reading!,

Maria

Nov 26th, 2000, 05:57 AM
topper

More reading recs!!

Nov 26th, 2000, 07:46 AM
gail wild

Two books by Tim Parks, a Brit married to an Italian and living in northern Italy: An Italian Education and Italian Neighors Or A Lapsed AngloSaxon in Verona. Both good reading, written with love but not starry-eyed.

Nov 26th, 2000, 09:30 AM
lola

Try James Morris' book on Sevilla. Fantastico.

Nov 26th, 2000, 08:55 PM
susan

Laurie Lee's "As I Walked Out one Midsummer Morning,: and Alinia, Countessa de la Romanones' "The Spy Wore Red, The Spy Wore Silk and The Spy Went Dancing" are all very good.

Oct 17th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Maira

TTT for AnnetteTX.