Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Book Recommendation (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/book-recommendation-228253/)

Peggi Jun 5th, 2002 06:34 AM

Book Recommendation

Just finished Paris to the Moon by Adam Gopnik and recommend it highly for anyone heading to Paris!<BR><BR>For younger readers, Postcards from France is a delightful read about a teenager who lived there as an exchange student.<BR><BR>Does anyone know what I should enter as a text search to find other reading recommendations about France?

Kendra Jun 5th, 2002 07:55 AM

Hi Peggi,<BR>I read this book a couple of years ago and it was good:<BR>French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French<BR>by Harriet Welty-Rochefort

Peggi Jun 6th, 2002 10:06 AM

Thanks, Kendra...put it on hold today at the library!

Christina Jun 6th, 2002 11:22 AM

There have been several threads on this topic. It works fairly well if you simply type "fiction" into the search box (and leaving the country unselected). You'll get the several Paris/French threads within about the top 25 findings. I was going to suggest you type "gopnik" into the box as that book is usually mentioned in such a thread but Fodors wouldn't let me do that.

[email protected] Jun 6th, 2002 12:30 PM

[email protected]

Rollie Jun 6th, 2002 12:32 PM

"A Moveable Feast" by Hemmingway is a good pre-Paris read.

Paula Jun 6th, 2002 12:40 PM

I really liked The Pleasing Hour by Lily KIng--set in Paris and Nice.

Capo Jun 6th, 2002 12:58 PM

Hi Peggi. An excellent book is Ina Caro's The Road From the Past: Traveling Through History in France.<BR><BR>You can read some reviews at:<BR> <BR>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156003635/103-0859414-8229436<BR><BR>I finally got around to reading Paris to the Moon recently and liked it a lot, but would've liked it even more if it hadn't been focused so much on food.

Sue Jun 6th, 2002 01:09 PM

Paris in the Fifties by Stanley Karnow.

mikey Jun 6th, 2002 02:15 PM

topping

Sue Jun 6th, 2002 04:29 PM

These are some of my favorites:<BR> A Home in France, Ann Barry; Two Towns in Provence, MFK Fischer; Window on Provence, Bo Niles; Miles Away, Miles Moreland, When in France, Sinclair-Stevenson.<BR>For a mystery, Murder in the Marais, Cara Black--a great read for the plane.

Sue Jun 6th, 2002 04:33 PM

Forgot this one--Running in Place:Scenes from the South of France, by Nicholas Delbanco

sss Dec 24th, 2002 01:42 AM

Me Talk Pretty One Day will have you rolling with laughter about life in France and a foreigner's efforts to speak French.

Anthony Dec 27th, 2002 08:44 AM

Two that I have enjoyed are &quot;A Home in France' by the late Ann Barry, an editor who re-located to the south of France (Dordogne?) and her story of cultural assimilation.<BR><BR>I am reading the other,&quot;You Cant See Paris From Here&quot; by Michael Sanders, an American writer who goes to Les Arques, in southwestern France, and writes of the village and environs, its Michelin restaurant, local personalitities. Very charming.<BR><BR>Peter Mayle popularized Provence. The two books I refer you to are up a few notches up from his works.<BR><BR>Good luck.

americaine Dec 27th, 2002 12:05 PM

French or Foe - Polly Pratt

wendy Dec 27th, 2002 02:57 PM

I'm reading 'Milking the Moon' by Eugene Walter as told to Katherine Clark...<BR><BR>Eugene Walker was from Mobile Alabama and reared by European grandparents there...<BR><BR>The book accounts his life by starting in the South as a child and through his years in New York, Paris, and Rome as a film producer, poet, prize winning author and his ties to the expatriate society of the 1950's... ending back in Mobile in his 80's...<BR><BR>A fascinating look into someone who 'simply followed his heart and lived in the moment ... knowing that the journey was everything, relished the chance to seize every opportunity to live life as it was at the moment, and that it isn't necessarily the most important or significant things in life that can give us the most intense happiness in our daily lives, and was rewarded with a transcendent life of art and culture where good food, good wine, good friends, and good conversation took precedence above and beyond anything else.&quot;<BR><BR>A FANTASTIC story teller who was able to live a life I could only dream about, with observations and humor those of us from the South can totally understand!<BR><BR>Wendy