Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Boo Hoo!... finding out we'll be cold in Positano mid-May.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found out that we may not be doing what we had hoped on our trip to the Amalfi Coast to celebrate our 40th anniversary this May. Have just heard the weather will be 'iffy'...cool and windy probably rainy. Meals outdoors non-events due to the weather...no swimming even in the pools (didn't really expect to swim in the Sea) Boat trips around Capri..NOPE ...too rough. Any comments out there I'm bummered about this.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Not every year is it cold in May, what part of May are you going? I have been in all kinds of weather there at that time and on a daily basis. Don't fret.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM

We were there in mid-Oct. with iffy weather as well but we had plenty to do. We visited Ravello and Amalfi, walked the beach, shopped and had plenty to do to fill our 3 days there. The only thing we didn't do was take the boat to Capri b/c the seas were too choppy and I get sea sick.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM

I was there in mid-May last year and we had one cooler day with rain and several sunny days in the 80s.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:01 PM

We've been on the Cote d'Azur in mid-May, and the weather was quite nice. I think the Amalfi coast is farther south, so the weather should be even better. We had a private pool at the house we rented & I swam in it sevaral times. We also dined outside quite often.

However, we went there (South of France)once in early July, and it was quite cold - not many people dining outside.

Hope for the best !!

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM

We've been to Sorrento near the end of May a couple of times and the hotel pool was always open - and mostly crowded. And all the outdoor restaurants were open. We saw only one partial day of rain in 10 in Italy one trip - although that obviously changes year by year.

Have you checked the hotels on when they open their pools?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Never even considered checking as to whether the pools would be open as I had an entirely different idea of what to expect weather-wise.I just put myself in every blue-sky,turquoise-sea, bougainvillea'd scenario I saw on the web and expected it to be that way when we were there. We are going mid-May for 5 days. Maybe I'll throw in a, YIKES! ...jacket.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
mvs

I'll be in Ravello on the Amalfi Coast in early April for 5 days and I'm still excited. We were at Lake Como in late Feb-early March in 2004-definitely off-season-but it was still incredible!!!! It actually snowed the last day we were there. The best trip of my life!!!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 06:54 AM

where in lake como did you stay? i'm trying to find a hotel for march.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Oooh, don't despair! I've was there for a week a couple of years ago in MARCH and the weather was fabulous! I think, and I could check my journal, it was in the 70's most days! There was no need for a jacket and lots of time was spent at the outdoor cafes drinking limoncello.
Last year, Sicily offered up weather in the 60 and 70's as well.
It seems that you will be more likely to find good weather than bad, imho.

As for Capri, no one can predict this far out the status of sea crossings...I'd hold onto your despair till you actually arrived and then, when among such beautiful surroundings, if you had to miss it, you'll suffer not.
It is wonderful there, the perfect place for a romantic anniversary!
Congratulations and enjoy!
Gigi
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I was there last year in early April and it was not hot but it was still such a beautiful place. It certainly had no body swimming in the sea but I was in a t shirt. The up side is that there are not as many people about so it is fairly easy to wander about and get into restaurants.

I though Capri boats were still on in April?? Outdoor dining - well not every night but certainly warm enough. Warm enough that I ate plenty of gelati!!!!

In May it could be really warm or it could be very cold. But then in the height of summer it could rain and rain.

Take your chances and enjoy it regardless.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM

We were in Positano in early May ( second week ) and swam in sea as well as the pool. Temp was delightful, short sleeves in day, light sweater at night. You may have rain, but that's true anywhere.
Bon viaggio!!!!!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:42 AM

This is February--no one can predict what the weather will be like on the exact days you will be there in May.

Most likely temperatures in the upper 60s and low 70s if you're there in mid-May--but it could be quite warm, or cooler. It might or might not be too rough for boat trips.

It is one of the least rainy months in the area--September through March is the rainiest time of the year.

There are never any guarantees when the weather is concerned.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 08:46 AM
ira

Ditto, RFT

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM

We were in Positano in May of '01, and it was pleasant, sunny, and we had no problem taking a boat from Positano to Amalfi. Don't be bummed; it could be very nice while you are there.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Why is it that people sem to think there ARE guarantees with weathre and with airfare sales??????
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:10 AM

minx...I can sympathize with your disappointment. We had several disappointments prior to leaving and during our 10th anniversary trip last April (Pope passed away, couldn't see the Vatican, HORRIBLE weather in Venice)!

However, we had a wonderful time and truely enjoyed ourselves because we were together. You can always find something great to do, eat and drink in Italy! Have a lovely trip and enjoy your special time together!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:38 AM

we were outside of Sorrento for a week in late March and the kids swam in the pool a few days. We ate outside for a few meals.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I won't be cold but you might get the odd shower
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:11 AM

I agree you will probably have more rain and better chance of cooler temps but you could luck out and get a heat wave and sunny weather. It is also possible that with rain it could be too rough to get to Capri. It will just be a matter of luck. Bring your swimsuit, an umbrella and hope for the best. Look at weatherbase.com

One good thing in mid-May is that the wisteria will be blooming all over and is really lovely and smells great too.

The coast really is lovely in any event, and even in the rainy mist it has a romantic beauty you can still appreciate. I brought some friends there once in early May 2005 who had never been before, and it was cloudy/misty most of the time (could not even take our boat charter to Capri, our captain would not risk it); and I was of course weeping over how beautiful I knew it could be...but my friends were raving over how beautiful it WAS. That made me look at it again and see it for the beauty it had in the mist, which it truly does. So really, just relax if you can't change your dates and go with it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -