Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bonnieux to Aix en Provence TGV - to PREM or not to PREM

Jun 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

OK, on our last night in Provence we are staying in Bonnieux. We want to go to Paris out of Aix en Provence TGV station. We have to travel from Bonnieux to the station (65 km), turn in the car, and catch the train. The 10:44 is a direct (3 hours) and has PREMs available for 49 euros, regular fare 91.70 euros. We are trying to decide if it is feasible to expect to be able to get there by 10:44, or get the regular fare in case we don't make it so we can use it on the next TGV at 11:55. Can we reasonably expect that seats will be available on the 11:55? Any thoughts or advice? Anyone done this? Thanks.
Jun 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Ronda -

Bonnieux to the Aix TGV station will take you an hour give or take. Add 30 minute to return car and get to the track and another 30 minutes for getting lost etc and it adds up to leaving Bonnieux two hours before your train.

-Kevin
Jun 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM

I don't get it - why would you not make the train? You know the region, you know the road distance - surely you can get up early and make the drive? That's a pretty decent fare, I'd snap it up and set two alarms for that morning... you can munch croissants in the car, yes?

WK
Jun 5th, 2006, 01:50 AM

like others have said, to me the question seems like not if you can make it but if you are willing to get up in time. As long as you have time to get your body on the train you should be fine. The train will only be in the station for 3 minutes. I would do what Kevin suggests and allow 2 hours so you dont have to rush.
Jun 5th, 2006, 02:36 AM

Is an extra hour of sleep worth the 42.70 Euros each you'll pay for it?
Jun 5th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. It is not the hour we need to get up that concerns me, but the roads, traffic, ease of locating the train station I was worried about. I have printed a map from viamichelin.

Yes, Intrepid, it is worth the savings, however, if we miss the train and have to purchase a regular fare, ouch!
Jun 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Well, I went for the PREM tickets. Our train leaves at 10:44 a.m. so that should give us plenty of time to make the train.

I printed the tickets on my printer and now I am wondering how to use them? Just show them to the conductor? I can't imagine you have to stamp them like regular tickets.
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:06 AM

Last month I took a trip on TGV where I had bought the ticket at a PREM price on the internet. I had to go to a guichet, a ticket window, and exchange the printout of the confirmation for a real ticket.

Make sure that you have the same credit card with you that you used when making the internet booking! No ifs and buts - it's a rule that is not made as clear as it could and should be made on their website, but now you know...

You will likely find that on the ticket there will be wording across the top to do with the need for you to "composter" - meaning you'll have to insert it, face down, left end first, into a validating machine, usually yellow, near the entrance to the platform.

You can and should retrieve that ticket ahead of time, at any train station or "SNCF boutique" (SNCF shops away from stations) so that you don't have to wait in line on the morning of your departure. But don't "composter" the ticket ahead of time, not until you're about to board the train.

WK
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Ronda, you just get on the train with printed tickets. No need to validate. You will show them and a form of ID to the controlleur when he comes by.

Wally, you are talking about a paid reservation, not a printed ticket.
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Morgan: OP is travelling on TGV, that means pre-paid ticket and seat reservation - I don't see the difference as you spell it out (you said "Wally, you are talking about a paid reservation, not a printed ticket").

Looks to me like Ronda is in the same boat I was in, so she should go and do as I suggested. What's different?

WK
Jun 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM

A printed ticket is the actual ticket for travel that can be printed at home. A paid reservation is a reservation number that must be exchanged for a ticket at the train station or in SNCF boutiques. These are two very different things.

The OP has tickets in hand and can directly board the train. You had a reservation number that required you to go pick up your tickets. Hope that makes more sense
Jun 7th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wally and Morgan for the info.

I have PREM tickets paid for and printed at home on my computer for the Aix to Paris trip. I also have paid, reserved regular fare tickets for another leg that I agree, you must go to the SNCF office or ticket window with the exact credit card, printed reservation, and retrieve the the tickets.