Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   bonjourparis.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bonjourparis-com-620094/)

vanne Jun 1st, 2006 11:42 AM

bonjourparis.com

Have any of you subscribed to a membership on the bonjourparis.com website? Is it worth doing?
Thanks.

Christina Jun 1st, 2006 12:46 PM

no, I haven't. I used to read it a little some years go when it was free. It had some good articles, but nothing I would pay for. I don't believe in paying to read stuff on the internet.

It didn't have anything unique. There are many websites with information on Paris, and other sources. That's just my opinion, but I won't pay for websites.

cigalechanta Jun 1st, 2006 12:52 PM

I post there but do not pay. It's free to read and post but you pay for a premium for their newsletter.
It's good if you are into fine restaurants most are too expensive for me but the regulars there know what the latest are and either live there or could afford long visits but it's nice group of people. I think underhill is a moderator there. I think Karen who runs the site is going to start out of Paris activity now. Si it will be another source of info on other areas.

Toupary Jun 1st, 2006 12:53 PM

I agree with Christina. I used to read it, too, when it was free. It's very entertaining, but I don't feel that I need to support the owner's "toy job."

isabel Jun 1st, 2006 01:32 PM

I think part of it is still free. I read a few articles when I was planning my March trip, but as the others said, there are so many sites on Paris, so I don't really remember which ones. I would not pay for it, there's way too much good info out there for free.

crefloors Jun 1st, 2006 01:43 PM

I used to use if for the French lessons. I just glanced at it a few weeks ago and I couldn't find the lessons..didn't have time to play for long so don't know if they are still available. Have not paid.

Underhill Jun 1st, 2006 02:12 PM

The French lessons disappeared when the original site was changed to a different provider.

The premium newsletter subscriptions support the free forums on the BP site. The regulars who post there are people willing to share their knowledge in a kindly manner; some are expatriates who live in Paris or elsewhere in France and know a great deal about how to get things done.

And yes, I am a site moderator--but these days that means primarily getting rid of spam posts. Not much else is needed, as posters are for the most part very polite.

Maribel Jun 1st, 2006 02:25 PM

I no longer have a premium membership-let it expire- but I do read the forums , as well as the France forum on www.egullet.org

jody Jun 1st, 2006 02:35 PM

I read the free things I get in the newsletter and check out the forums but I don't and won't pay for a membership.

cigalechanta Jun 1st, 2006 05:05 PM

topping for positive poster there like me

robjame Jun 1st, 2006 05:20 PM

OK. I pay for the membership and I don't feel disappointed. A year's membership is less than I have paid for travel books and I have found much of the information on the site more valuable.

gracejoan3 Jun 2nd, 2006 02:02 AM

I was a moderator along with Underhill for a number of years.

BP had a period when it became over involved in politics. Many long-timers left. I also left at that time.

Underhill and I have become great friends. I usually get together with Karen Fawcett when I am in Paris.

I still look at the site occasionally. Post rarely. I have not renewed my premium membership.

I also enjoy the e-gullet site.

I don't post as often on any of the sites.

Bigal Jun 2nd, 2006 03:13 AM

Bonjourparis is free. It is only the Premium Newsletter with articles that is not.But posting and general membership is free. It has a great group of cooperative people and a wonderful easy to follow list of subject catagories that one can go to directly with no "topping "problems.

plambers Jun 2nd, 2006 05:21 AM

Gracejoan, I think you were one of the many people on bonjour paris who helped me with my first trip to Paris, and my second, too, which included a week in provence. Everyone was so kind and provided great advice. It gave me alot of confidence and helped make our trips wonderful and gave me an "insiders" appreciation of Paris and France.
I don't pay the premium now - I relied on this site alot for our recent trip.

gracejoan3 Jun 2nd, 2006 07:03 AM

Thanks..glad that I was helpful to you, along with others.

I look at many sites when planning my trips and do a great deal of research. I know the areas ahead of time, where I want to go, what I want to see, restaurants, lodging etc.

I have a super trip planned for this fall. I will first be east of Carcassonne to catch the coastal and some other areas (not Carcasonne, once was enough..then to The Hotel Atalaya (that was mentioned above) for some Pyrenees sights, then meeting French friends in the Dordogne(near Sarlat) and finally down to Sare, which is SE of Biarritz, for some Basque country.

I have a lot planned, but it is never rushed.......
a bientot.....

Maribel Jun 2nd, 2006 07:18 AM

gracejoan3,
I hope you have a wonderful trip! We really enjoyed our stay at L'Atalaya in Llo and the scenic countryside of the Cerdagne. Madame Toussand is a very gracious and charming hostess, and we enjoyed our dinners there. I hope she has returned to playing the piano after dinner again.
We also adore the Pays Basque with its amazingly picturesque villages like Sare, Espelette, Ainhoa, Ixtassou (the cherry town), Bastide Clairence, St. Etienne de Baigorry. We'll be exploring there again this July. Are you staying at the Hotel Arraya by any chance?
And the Dordogne was a true wow!
I'm envious of your wonderful itinerary!

gracejoan3 Jun 2nd, 2006 07:49 AM

Maribel,

Yes, I am staying at the Hotel Arraya. I will be there for 5 full days. Open for any suggestions that you might have. Thought I might drive to Pamplona, just to say I was there. Worthwhile??

Not planning on Bilbao. I think there may be enough closer to Sare.

I fly out of Biarritz on 10/5. I am picking up a lease/buy back car in Toulouse.

This trip is taking in some areas where I have not been. Dordogne, I have been before..a few years back. I have already rented a place for a month in 2007..mid Sept-mid Oct..near Sarlat.

I may find that I want to plan a trip in one of these areas for a longer stay.

a bientot

Maribel Jun 2nd, 2006 09:52 AM

Hi gracejoan3,
I have a large Pays Basque file that you're welcome to download in pdf at www.maribelsguides.com

We usually stay right across the border at the Hotel Churrut in Vera de Bidasoa and take the old smuggler's route up to Sare.
So we've never stayed at the Arraya but have dined there (the BEST gateau basque), visited the lovely church with its 3 tier wood balconies and shopped for linens (Artiga at the Maison Jauregui) and watched Basque sports and pottoka exhibitions (those adorable little Basque horses). And this yr. we're taking friends on le petit train de La Rhune, if we catch a clear day. We've also visited the caves and done the Gateaux Basque museum where we've sampled to our heart's content and bought gateaux basque pans for friends! The amusing owner and pastry chef extraordinaire is a childhood friend of San Fran chef Gerald Hirigoyen, author of "The Basque Kitchen". Watching his hr. long demonstration was a treat.
www.pays-basque-pyrenees.com/

In my Pays Basque file I haven't included information on Pamplona, but yes, it makes a very nice day trip from Sare.
You'll enjoy the scenery on the drive down. Park in the El Corte Inglés dept. store underground garage (prk. is tough in the city)and head to the Plaza Castillo, the epicenter of the Old Quarter (which has been quite spruced up with new benches/tress and the cleaning and repainting of the facades), sit on the terrace of the legendary Café Iruña of Hemingway fame, then go 'round the corner to Espoz y Mina 7, to our very favorite Pamplona pintxos bar, "Bar Gaucho" (high class, highly creative miniature haute cuisine--even have published a recipe book of their prize winning creations), stroll the narrow, dark and atmospheric streets of the Old Quarter stopping at another of our pintxos bars, "Bar Baserri" (annual winners of pintxos competitions as well) on Calle San Nicolás 32 (the street of 1,000 bars), walk the route of the Running of the Bulls from the bullpen on Cuesta de Santo Domingo-to town hall square-to Mercaderes-to Estafeta-to the bullring, on your way up Estafeta on your right, pick up a little San Fermín logo item at the cute and clever graphic design shop, "Kukuxumusu" (means "kiss of the flea" in Basque), visit the Rafael Moneo designed Museo de Navarra and/or take a walk through the Ciudadela (Pamplona is blessed with plentiful "green space", lots of lovely parks), maybe sitting for an after lunch coffee outside under the shade at "El Bosquecillo", a little Viennese type cafe behind the Hotel Tres Reyes in the Taconera Park.
More ideas here:
http://www.pamplona.net/VerPag.asp?i...3&Idioma=5

For lunch in Pamplona you have a number of true gourmet temples such as Rodero, Europa, Alhambra, Hartza, Josetxo, but I would send you to the Restaurante Don Pablo, on Navas de Tolosa 10 (near Hotel 3 Reyes), one that we never get to try because it's closed during Fiesta. The female chef has been winning numerous gastronomic awards lately, and it's a favorite of our Pamplona friends. You can dine on her beautifully designed pintxos or a la carte. She's one to watch! See her talents displayed here:
www.restaurantedonpablo.com

Hope you enjoy your stay in the bucolic Pays Basque. I think you'll get hooked and want to return!
And Biarritz/Bayonne deserve their own chapter!

cigalechanta Jun 2nd, 2006 10:09 AM

OLË!!!!!!!

gracejoan3 Jun 2nd, 2006 10:47 AM

Maribel,
Thanks for the info..I will do some copying. I will definitely take the trip to Pamplona after reading what you had to say.

I was also wondering if I should take the Le Petit train de la Rhune?

I thought this trip might be one to check out areas that I would like to spend more time...both east and west close to the Pyrenees and Languedoc.

Thanks again,
Joan