Search

BONES OF MONKS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:34 AM
RITA GINOCCHIO

BONES OF MONKS

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THERE IS A BUILDING <BR>WHERE THE BONES OF MONKS ARE STACKED IN <BR>ROWS ACCORDING TO WHAT BONE IT IS, ie, SKULLS, SHIN BONES, ARMS, ETC. MY SISTERS <BR>AND I WANDERED IN THERE LOOKING FOR A BATH-<BR>ROOM NOT EXPECTING WHAT WE WERE SEEING AND<BR>NOW SEVERAL YEARS LATER, I WISH WE HAD BOUGHT<BR>A POSTCARD AS PEOPLE DON'T BELIEVE ME WHEN<BR>I TELL THEM. NOW, SOMEONE FROM MY OFFICE IS<BR>HEADED TO ITALY (THE SAME TWO TOWNS WE VISITED; FLORENCE AND ROME) AND SHE SID SHE <BR>WOULD TRY TO LOCATE THIS MONASTERY..I THINK<BR>THAT'S WHAT THIS WAS* IF YOU HAVE BEEN THERE<BR>OR KNOW OF THIS BUILDING..PLEASE LET ME KNOW<BR>ABOUT WHERE IT IS LOCATED* THANK YOU

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Marilyn

In Rome on Via Veneto is a cappuchin church across from the Hard Rock Cafe and near Piazza Barbarini. It's in the basement of the church. I under stand there's another in Spain. M.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Heidi

I have several postcards from the same place in Rome. There are also bone sculptures in Evora, Portugal, and outside of Prague in the Czech Republic. Creepy, yet fascinating stuff.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Heidi

Actually, the bones in Rome do not all belong to the monks, if my memory serves me correctly. I believe they actually belong to wealthy families of Rome, including the DeMedicis. I can't remember all the details, but that's just an aside.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:54 AM
xxx

Monks are supposed to be celibate

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:08 AM
chris

Santa Maria delle Concezione. And they were Capuchin Monks.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Alice Twain

Ther is nother similar chappel in Milano. It is at the church of San Bernardino alle Ossa, not far from Duomo.<BR>http://www.emmedici.com/milano/eottobre.htm

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:30 AM
REBUS

OH THE ANKLE BONE CONNECTED TO THE SHIN BONE, THE SHIN BONE CONNECTED TO THE KNEE BONE, THE KNEE BONE CONNECTED TO THE LEG BONE, OH HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD....THEM BONES, THEM BONES, THEM BONES GONNA WALK ABOUT, THEM BONES, THEM BONES, THEM BONES GONNA WALK ABOUT, NOW HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD....

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:31 AM
luigi

Hey Rita you likea the bones I got a bone to throw to you

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Heidi

I've heard of "Monkey Bones," but not Monk Bones. Maybe Tim Burton can do a remake?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Alice Twain

Rebus:<BR><BR>I believe them bones are me<BR>Some say we're born into the grave<BR><BR>I feel so alone, gonna end up a<BR>Big ole pile a them bones<BR> <BR>Dust rise right on over my time<BR>Empty fossil of the new scene<BR><BR>I feel so alone, gonna end up a<BR>Big ole pile a them bones<BR> <BR>Toll due bad dream come true<BR>I lie dead gone under red sky<BR><BR>I feel so alone, gonna end up a<BR>Big ole pile a them...<BR>I feel so alone, gonna end up a<BR>Big ole pile a them...<BR>I feel so alone, gonna end up a<BR>Big ole pile a them bones

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:45 AM
xxx

Send Monk, he'll solve the mystery.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:00 AM
xxxxx

By the way, any good rib joints in Rome?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:20 AM
eater

Yeah I hear that Monk's BBQ and Steak House, over on via Hottasauce has great ribs...

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Beth

So glad to know these bones are still there - I saw them in 1960 at a Cappuchian Monastery and do have the postcard to prove it. Don't know where it actually is, other than Rome, because we were taken there by some guys who wanted to show us a good time! And, it was fascinating but macabre.