Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   "Bombay Dreams" London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bombay-dreams-london-377208/)

KenCT Nov 18th, 2003 10:15 AM

"Bombay Dreams" London

It's opening in NY in March, I'm wondering if I should catch it in London, where it is apparently available at the tkts booth. Anyone seen it? What's the word?

Frances Nov 18th, 2003 02:06 PM

I saw this in January when our whole family went to see it for my Mum's birthday. I really enjoyed it-in fact we all did including my Dad!

KenCT Nov 18th, 2003 03:05 PM

Thanks, Frances. I did a search for "Bombay Dreams" on this board after I posted - Should have done it beforehand, I suppose. Most people who have seen it seem to have enjoyed it. Hope it's available at TKTS when I'm there between Christmas and New Years.

Then, when it's opening in New York I can indulge my guilty pleasure of informing my NY theatre maniac friends, "Been there, done that, have the CD."

Chicagotraveler Nov 19th, 2003 05:59 PM

I just saw Bombay Dreams in London on 11/15/03. I thought the play was good, not great. The first act is very slow, and the play overall is disjointed. Some of the singing is great, and the dancing in the second act is outstanding. It's got some very familiar Andrew Lloyd Weber sounds and themes. Not many memorable songs. Costumes are great. However, I expected much better. So, I'd say it's decent but nothing special.

Patrick Nov 20th, 2003 06:32 PM

I think it's interesting that it has some "very familiar Andrew Lloyd Weber sounds and themes". It was my impression that he had nothing in the world to do with the writing or composing of this show, although he helped back its London production. What I've heard of the score is that almost irritating (to me) Indian music sound.

JonJon Nov 21st, 2003 12:54 AM

I'm seeing it next week and my understanding is that ALW's "involvement" consists (ed) of backer money and that he did not have any direct input in terms of music, etc., although perhaps "the money" may have had some influence.
I'd post my own "review" when I return but since enjoyment or non-enjoyment of shows is rather subjective at best I think doing so would be a waste of time since it means little to those who don't know or share my tastes.

JaneB Nov 21st, 2003 06:51 AM

I enjoyed the dancing and costumes and the fact that the theater was locataed very near our hotel.

kathyl Nov 21st, 2003 08:22 AM

I saw it in September and enjoyed it. I'd say that it was entertaining but nothing profound. The music, costumes and dancing was fun. And when else are you going to see an almost-entirely south asian cast?

Keith Nov 21st, 2003 09:21 AM

JaneB, I haven't gone yet, but the location is attractive. Is it a nice theatre?

Keith

JaneB Nov 21st, 2003 09:55 AM

Keith:
I haven't been to a lot of theaters, but I wasn't aware of anything about this one that was different or unsual. We went to the Sunday afternoon performance, and I chose it initially because it was across the street from the Thistle Victoria.

Keith Nov 21st, 2003 10:59 AM

Thanks Jane,

I wondered, because it was outside the area that I have come to think of for West End Theatre.

Keith