Bolzano, Verona, Vicenza & Padua

Mar 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Bolzano, Verona, Vicenza & Padua

In reading the Italy messages I don't see much about this area. We'll be traveling in June and basing ourselves in Verona for 4 nites to visit Vicenza and Padua. Should we go to Lake Garda? Anywhere else? Then we'll go to Bolzano for 2 nights. What special things (other than the ice man if he's there) should we see? By the way we'll be on the train, no car. Have reservations at Accademia in Verona. Nothing yet in Bolzano. Any ideas?
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:56 PM
ira

Hi J,

Is there a reason why you have left out Venice?

Mar 13th, 2006, 02:07 PM

I don't know that you can even get to Lago di Garda by train---we rented a car for that. In Bolzano, both the Hotel Greif and Hotel Figl are nice, and both are a very short walk from the train station.

It was several years ago that I was there; I think since then it has become possible to get reservations for the Iceman museum. If so, that would avoid a long line.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

We were in Venice for 4 days a few years ago. In fact, we just may go there again.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Enzian. I'll check out the Garda train info. I'll look at the hotels you mentioned in Bolzano and if we can get Ice Man reservations.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Well--I'm wrong. The train website shows one to Pescheria del Garda, only 14 minutes from Verona. Now I need a map to see where that is.

We liked Garda, but we stayed in Malcesine.
Mar 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM

ttt
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM

When we were in Bolzano in September there were no lines to see Utzi the ice-man. Just buy a ticket and go on in. You can take a lovely trip to Alpe de Suisse by bus from Bolzano. There's a nonstop bus that goes from the vicinity of the train station to a small town where you can take a cable car up. The tourist information office will give you the details. It's a beautiful ride and great not to be doing the driving. Once on top there are places to eat, walking paths, and carriage rides.
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:59 AM

It's a breeze to get to Pescheiera del Garda from the train. It's a bit of a hike to the dock where boats depart. (I don't know if the situation is Desenzano, also on the train line to Verona, is the same, but you should check that out.)

The most scenic part of Lago di Garda is it's northern half, so you might want to take a boat to go there. Reaching the northernmost tip of the lake from the south takes almost 4 hours by regular ferry, and I think 90 minutes by hydrofoil.

You have to pay close attention to the ferry schedules to plan your trip, so you don't get stranded in the north.

If you don't want to go all the way to the north, you can still have a nice time visiting the towns of Bardolino, Salo, Limone sul Garda, etc. Lago di Garda is a playground for Northern Europeans, not Americans, so you should expect to encounter a fairly heavily devoloped waterfront, with hotels and even condos, as well as windsurfers and an overall lakeside holiday atmosphere. One or two of the towns have castels and a historic feel, but not all do.

You might consider going to Mantova, which is only about 30 miles from Verona.