Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bologna: Porta San Mamolo or Hotel Metropolitan?

Apr 18th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying to decide between the Porta San Mamolo and the Hotel Metropolitan for my October trip to Bologna, and I could use some advice.

My understanding is that PSM is an easy 10 minute walk from the city center, but HM is right in the thick of it. My husband and I are young and in good health, but if the majority of what we're doing everyday is based in the city center, it might make more sense to stay there.

We're foodies, so our main goal is to explore the food shops and restaurants, day-trip via bus or train to Parma and Modena, etc.

Any advice on the city itself or these two hotels specifically would be most appreciated.
Apr 18th, 2007, 05:34 AM

I've not stayed in either hotel, but have been to Bologna six times. It is a great city! If "in the thick of it" means on or close to Via Independanza, that would be my choice to stay in. I have stayed on Independanza and around the Piazza Maggiore. Lots of good shopping and food around the piazza. Behind the due torri is the oldest section of the city and close to the fish and food markets. Trattoria Gianni on Via Clavature is incredible! Ristorante Cafe La Capriata on strada Maggiore is also a must. The famous Tamborini is just behind "Coin" department store located on the main street heading to the two towers. I walked most of the time from this area to the train station(15 minutes most) even in snow! Never had any problems. There is a good historical museum near the university with roman and greek artifacts. I'm envious of your trip! Good luck.
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM

I stayed at Hotel Metropolitan couple months ago, the hotel is newly renovated with nice room and lovely breakfast area, located on a quiet side street few yards off Via Independanza, and 3-4 minutes walk to Via Righi where you could find several good eating places. BTW, it is within 10 minutes walk to train station, easy for the day trips.

I haven't stayed at Hotel Porta San Mamolo, but I would much prefer the location of HM.
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I'm the in the eraly stages of planning this trip and info on Bologna is fairly scarce, so I don't know much about the lay of the land.

It seems that Porta San Mamolo is in a quieter area, not quite in the center of town but not so far that it's inconvenient. Still, I think I'm leaning toward Hotel Metropolitan because it seems more in the action which is probably better for us.

I'm really looking forward to visiting Bologna!
Apr 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM

My advice is to book both hotels while you are making up your mind, then cancel the one you don't want. Bologna is an extremely important Trade Fair city in Italy, and these Fairs are booked years in advance. Hotels wind up fully booked in the blink of an eye. Put down your marker early.