Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   BOLOGNA/PARMA/MODENA area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bologna-parma-modena-area-32725/)

Linda Sep 27th, 1998 06:24 AM

BOLOGNA/PARMA/MODENA area

<BR>My husband and are spend three of our 15 nights in Italy in Bologna, as we have been told Emilia Romagna has some of the best food in Italy and WANT TO EAT. Why are there so few references to this area ? If anyone has been there, I would appreciate restaurant recommendations in any of the small towns surrounding Bologna, or in Bologna itself. we already have reservations at Guist in Modena. THANKS

Richard Vicek Sep 27th, 1998 07:20 AM

Good morning, Linda <BR>We have two favorites in Bologna, neither would be classified as gourmet, however they just have good food. <BR>Trattoria Da Adolfo, Corte Galluzzi, 7, <BR>located about a half block south of the Pza Maggiore. A mom and pa ristorante, very small place with about seven tables, but totaly enjoyable...$$$ resvn suggested. <BR>La Mela, via de Fusari, 5, located about half block south of the Pza Maggiore. excellant pizza and fish dishes...$$$ reservations suggested. <BR>The ristorante NOTAI, located behind a bar off the Pza Maggorie is more of the gourmet ristorantes of Bologna. Ate <BR>there once and the food was excellant. <BR>check out www.tamburini.com/ and check out the store in Bologna, when you are there, very interesting.. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il... <BR>

francesca Sep 30th, 1998 03:57 AM

We spent a weekend in Parma a year ago. I have never eaten such fantastic food. The artistic treasures are worth the trip, too. Don't miss this area of Italy! <BR>

Kris Sep 30th, 1998 10:25 AM

<BR>We recommend Ristorante Oreste in Modena, having lunched there on Sept. 28 - it's walking distance from the cathedral, with paid parking available. The ravioli with pumpkin/bacon and parmigiano regiano was superb, as was the beef roast. Fodor's should consider recommending this restaurant. Rist. Oreste can also accomodate tour groups, takes credit cards, and the service is excellent. Menus are in Italian only. <BR> <BR>Kris

kam Sep 30th, 1998 03:25 PM

I think the reason Bologna is often bypassed by tourists is that it is quite large and modern and until you really get into the heart of the city you don't see the kinds of historical sites as you do it other Italian cities. But once you are in the middle, it is quite lovely and well worth a visit. It is home to an ancient university--many claim it to be the best in Italy, others say Pisa is better. The food is out of this world! Someone once drew a comparison between Lyon and Bologna. So, a few recommendations----I Carracci in the heart of the old city on Via Manzoni,Silverio on V. Nosadella,Rosteria Da Luciano on V. Nazario Sauro, Bitone, Pappagallo, very centrally located, Battibecco also very central near Duomo. In a small town called Casteldebole (7 km outside Bologna, is Antica Trattoria del Cacciatore. (a cacciatore is a hunter, and this is a rustic restaurant with excellent food) It's south of the airport off the major freeway which I think is the A14, but you need to confirm this. In Modena there is a 2 Michelin star, centrally located called Fini. Enjoy!! Also, try to visit Ferrara, another very interesting city often overlooked by tourists. <BR>

graziella Oct 2nd, 1998 03:43 PM

<BR>Linda, you got a lot of good advise and Bologna if absolutely fantastic. <BR>Try to eat at least once in the market area, which is in the heart of town <BR>Restaurants are very good I just remember one in the market area: <BR>trattoria Gianni. I am sure there many more. This one is traditional and Very good. Bye

Tina Forman Oct 5th, 1998 05:47 PM

We ate at "Croce Di Malta" (address: Borgo Palmia, 8; phone:(0521) 235643) in Parma. The food quality was excellent, and the dishes were unusual, typical of the local cuisine.