Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bologna or Urbino?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bologna-or-urbino-196651/)

Margo Apr 9th, 2002 06:03 PM

Bologna or Urbino??

We would like to make a two-night stop on our way from Venice to Montalcino. Since we have never visited Bologna and only spent one hour in Urbino eight years ago, we would like to select one of these two cities.. This is our ninth trip to Italy so other cities/villages have been ruled out. Any information that will help us make a decision is appreciated. Thanks<BR><BR>

Graziella Apr 9th, 2002 06:39 PM

Hi,We have visited both, liked both! it is a hard choice one of the other, like what to do prefer chocolate or<BR>wine?<BR>I think that Bologna is a much more important place to visit , has a lot to offer, culturally and also, important to us, probably the best cuisine in Italy.<BR>Bologna is more elegant, with beautiful arcades, chic shops, great monuments etc etc.i.e. beautiful <BR>Piazza maggiore & Piazza Neptuno, the towers, the Duomo, the lively market etc.<BR>On the other hand although I found the Palazzo Ducale exceptional in URbino my choice would be Bologna.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Vincenzo Apr 9th, 2002 11:29 PM

I respect the opinion of Graziella but I suggest Urbino: the ideal town. <BR>Have a nice trip.

dean Apr 10th, 2002 04:33 AM

Bologna is a big city. It ahs many attractive features and is quite famous for its foods (but the food is rich leading to the nickname "Bologna the Fat"). <BR><BR>Urbino was the home to Frederico di Montefeltro and was the birthplace of Rafaele. It is a very slow paced university town with good food also. It is mostly pedestrianized int he center and is set in beautiful country. I would definitely vote for Urbino.

Graziella Apr 10th, 2002 02:15 PM

Hi Both cities are beautiful I only disagree regarding Dean's remark on Bologna's cuisine, true<BR>Bologna is called the fat<BR>but it doesn't mean its food is necessarily fat , it is fantastic food. !!! it is simple delicious, between the food in Bologna and the food in Urbino I would favor Bologna a 100% but life is not all about eating....<BR>.................<BR>

jj Apr 10th, 2002 03:36 PM

"life is not all about eating?!" <BR><BR>Well, perhaps you're right, but when I think back on my trips, some of my fondest memories are of the ice cream in Copenhagen, the smolked salmon in Norway, the wonderful chicken I had in Connemara, the pastries every morning in Paris, the gelato in Florence, the Guinnes in Dublin (well, they call it a "meal in a glass,") the shwahrma in Haifa, the chicken noodle soup in NY's east village, the hot chocolate on Ile St. Louis, the currie in London, the crepes in Paris, the Pizza in Chianti, the key lime pie in southern Florida, . . . .<BR><BR>So if Bologna has food anything like I've heard, it sounds well worth a special trip.