Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bologna hotels fully booked! Must be someone who can find me a room!

Jul 10th, 2001, 01:00 PM
james

We're booked to go to Bologna 5th/6th/7th October and it happens that there is some sort of conference in Bologna at that time. All the hotels seem to be fully booked, but I am sure there must be some way of finding a room somehow. I'm so desperate that I really don't mind about budget or quality - 1* or 5*. Can anyone help, or does anyone out there own a hotel with a spare room!

Jul 10th, 2001, 01:28 PM
coco

James,
Have you contacted the hotels directly? Those multi-hotel sites often indicate a hotel is sold out when in fact it is not if contacted directly. (And sometimes at better rates!) Good luck.

Jul 10th, 2001, 01:36 PM
mark

This may sound strange but monastaries and convents rent out rooms. Not sure how to find such availability - sorry

Jul 10th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jean Valjean

Maybe you can try http://www.bedandbreakfast.com

Maybe Bologna is full, but you may find something in the surrounding area.

Jul 10th, 2001, 01:56 PM
james

Yup - I've tried quite a few hotels directly. I was wondering if some groups might block book? Monasteries etc might eventually appeal! Even B&B's would do, but I don't know where to start.

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:03 PM
jahoulih

Have you tried www.venere.it?

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Ed

You've already tried Bologna's tourism office?

If not, see
http://sit.comune.bologna.it/tourism/ricerca.htm

About 75 hotels are listed.

twenj

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:27 PM
james

Great advice - thanks to you all.

Jul 10th, 2001, 03:18 PM
kam

James, why must you spend 3 days in Bologna? First of all, many tourists bypass it completely and most agree that one day is sufficient. Bologna can be done as a day trip by train or car from Florence. Other charming towns near Bologna are Ferrara, Modena,Parma (especially this one!),Padova, Verona and Reggio nell'Emilia. I would choose another town and daytrip into Bologna. If there's a big convention there, you might want to rethink a visit all together. Good luck.

Jul 10th, 2001, 03:24 PM
kam

Oh, sorry, clicked prematurely. There's an Agip in Borgo Panigale and a Novotel in Villanova, but they wouldn't be my choice.Look for the Duchessa Isabella in Ferrara or the old 16th c. palace called Ripagrande (it's about 30 miles from Bologna. If you can't stay in the historic center of Bologna, I think you'll be disappointed.