Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bologna hotel suggestion near Piazza Maggiore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Jim

We're going to spend two nights in Bologna. I've already seen a great deal on this site regarding restaurants (which is a big reason why we're doing this), but can anybody suggest a good 2 or 3 star hotel near the two towers or Pizza Maggiore (or are these one and the same?)?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:45 PM

ttt

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Therese

I can't recommend a place near the Piazza Maggiore, but can recommend the Sofitel directly opposite the train station. Nice hotel, all the comforts, and very convenient from a transportation point of view, as you're right there at the train station and buses (including a shuttle to the airport) all arrive there as well. You're right on the edge of the historical area there, so the walk into town is not taxing in the least. <BR>And you'll be wanting to exercise lots in light of your dining plans...

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:27 PM
russ i

Personally, I would stay near Piazza Maggiore, not the train station. The 2 Towers are only 3 blocks away from this piazza; and my favorite piazza in the city, Piazza Santo Stefano, is only 1 block beyond the towers.<BR><BR>Here are three 3 star hotels just steps from Piazza Maggiore, in order of preference:<BR><BR>Hotel Commercianti<BR>Via de' Pignattari, 11<BR>tel.23 30 52<BR>fax.22 47 33<BR><BR>Hotel Orologio<BR>Via IV Novembre, 10<BR>tel.23.12.53<BR>fax.26.05.52<BR><BR>Hotel Roma<BR>Via d'Azeglio, 9<BR>tel.22.63.22<BR>fax.23.99.09<BR><BR>Don't stay on Via Indepenzenza if noise is a problem for you. For a 4 star splurge, try Hotel Corona d'Oro 1890. Have fun!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:53 PM
jim

Thanks for the replies. I think I'd lean towards russ i's suggestion, as I don't as a rule like to be near train stations.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:57 AM
jim

Oh no, they're all booked (and a bit more expensive than I thought).<BR><BR>Any other suggestions? Has anybody stayed at the University hotel?<BR><BR>Perhaps for any nice two star hotels in the area?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Santa Chiara

Hi, Jim. The University Hotel is a little further away from the piazza than the others that were recommended, but it is in the university district and right around the corner from one of my favorite Bolognese restaurants, Anna Maria. The hotel is perfectly fine, and it is within walking distance to the piazza. If you can get a reservation grab it.