Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bologna/Florence train--has anyone does this? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bologna-florence-train-has-anyone-does-this-626573/)

MissZiegfeld Jun 26th, 2006 12:05 PM

Bologna/Florence train--has anyone does this?

This isn't a stupid idea, isn't it?

I'm flying from Rome to Budapest, and instead of stopping there and returning home, well, decided to tack on another week in Italy. I want to visit Florence but there are no flights from Budapest to Florence on the day I need to arrive, but there IS a flight to Bologna, and I see it's about a 59 minute train ride from Bologna to Florence.

Is it ridiculous to do that? Any idea how much a cab costs from the airport in Bologna to the main train station?

And yes, I realize that flying to Italy, leaving Italy, and flying BACK to Italy may be considered foolish, but really, it's the only way I can do this since my flight to Budapest from Rome is already settled..not to mention, as I said in another post, that one of the joys of travelling alone is that I can do things like this. :-) (and I have done this before!!)

Thanks!

Pwem Jun 26th, 2006 12:11 PM

I took the train from Florence to Bologna 2 years ago and took a taxi from the train station to the airport. I can't remember the exact cost, but I don't recall feeling any outrage. Maybe 25 euro, tops.

ira Jun 26th, 2006 12:15 PM

Hi Miss,

I don't see that you have a problem.

Think of it as visiting Italy with a side trip to Budapest.

You might want to stay overnight in Bologna. It's a nice town.

Have a nice visit.

((I))

MissZiegfeld Jun 26th, 2006 12:19 PM

Thank you! I'm getting more and more excited. Can't believe I've never been to Italy.

Hey, as long as I have the attention of a few people, have any of you used sites like www.initaly.com (and a gazillion others that I found on google) to book your museum tickets? I have a feeling it may be cheaper to book directly through the museum, but I thought I'd ask..

ekscrunchy Jun 26th, 2006 12:19 PM

Marconi airport is a bit of a ride from the city of Bologna; I would guess 30 euro or so but honestly do not remember although we did this a few months ago. Do stay overnight if you can swing it, especially if you are at all interested in food! Who cares what anyone thinks of your plans...it is not outlandish at all in my opinion.

Pwem Jun 26th, 2006 12:44 PM

Book directly with the museum if you can. Those ticket sites charge about a 10 euro premium. Look up the museum phone number and just call them. Most all of them have recordings in english or humans that can speak english. If you don't have a cheap way to dial, you can dial 1010987 then the number, beginning with 011. The connection fee is about 50 cents then 6 cents per minute thereafter.

zoecat Jun 26th, 2006 01:42 PM

As I recall, it is a fairly short distance from the Bologna airport to the train station. About 10 minutes by taxi and 20 by bus. The bus stop at the airport is well marked and the ride inexpensive. Should be quite easy for you to make this happen.

ira Jun 26th, 2006 02:01 PM

Hi MZ,

Some info that you might find helpful:

Venice:
Secret Itineraries tour of Doge’s palace Phone number is 011 39 041 520 9070. English-speaking operator.

You will not be charged for your tickets if you don't go on the tour.

Florence:
Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Salaam Bombay, Via F. Rosselli 45r
Where the locals go if they want something exotic. A good, inexpensive Indian restaurant. Excellent nan.

Bologna restaurants:
Da Cesarina, across the piazza from San Stefano.

Nuovi Notai, Via de' Pignattari, 1 – just off Piazza Maggiore

Gelateria Moline, Via delle Moline 13. By far, the best gelato we had in Italy.

Also see my trip report for other ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

You might also want to look at
Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

((I))

MissZiegfeld Jun 26th, 2006 05:19 PM

Thank you SO much for the extremely helpful replies!! I've never been one to write trip reports but I'm definitely going to keep notes and write up a report (and hopefully someone will read it! LOL). This trip is going to be fantastic.

LoveItaly Jun 26th, 2006 07:51 PM

Your idea sounds fine to me Miss Z.
The train from Bologna to Florence is quite easy. And if you do have time to spend a night or two in Bologna I am sure you will enjoy your visit as most travellers seem to do.