Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   BofA customers: Assure me my PIN will work! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bofa-customers-assure-me-my-pin-will-work-527354/)

Trixie_Firecracker May 7th, 2005 02:11 PM

BofA customers: Assure me my PIN will work!

With all the talk here of how important it is to have a 4-digit PIN, I'm a bit worried, since Bank of America won't let me have a PIN of fewer than 6 digits! A couple of weeks ago I called them to change my PIN, and they told me I couldn't change it ... but I should be fine if I use the first four digits then hit enter.

So, I'd like to hear from BofA customers who used the PNP Paribas ATMs. Did you use your 6-digit PIN, or did you shorten it to 4 digits? I'm leaving in one week, so I'd like to have my mind at ease. :)

Thanks!

SeaUrchin May 7th, 2005 02:16 PM

Dear Ms. Firecracker, I have a four digit from the BOFA and it works fine in Italy. Memorize the numbers though, it is rare to see letters on the keys.

jody May 7th, 2005 02:24 PM

I'm also a BofA customer and I have a 4 digit pin..I wonder why you can't get one. They did tell me if I needed a 6 digit on any atm to add 2 0's..but I've never had to do it.

Budman May 7th, 2005 02:30 PM

I have a BofA 6-digit pin ATM card (formerly Fleet Bank). I am still waiting to hear from someone who has actually used it in France, Germany, Italy, and Switzerland, and it worked just using the first 4 digits. ((b))

Trixie_Firecracker May 7th, 2005 02:35 PM

I used to be a Fleet customer; I had a 6-digit PIN with them, but it was an option, not mandatory. Also, I wasn't traveling while I had the long PIN.

When I was switched over to BofA, I recall they told me my PIN *had* to be a least 6 digits. Maybe it's just a requirement for the former Fleet customers?

Whatever the case, I'm sure there has to be at least one other Fleet-turned-BofA customer here who's traveled to Europe!

lhb May 7th, 2005 03:01 PM

Trixie_Firecracker
We are leaving this Friday as
I had a 6 digit PIN I was concerned
I went into my BofA branch today
and had my 6 digit PIN changed to
4 digits. The customer service
rep punched the info into the computer,
I went outside to the machine and
tested - worked fine. Maybe you
should go to the bank like I did.

LoveItaly May 7th, 2005 04:14 PM

Hi Trixie, I have a 4 number pin for my ATM but it is not B of A. My friends in Italy have always told me the pin has to be 4 numbers. I am not sure if eliminating the last 2 numbers when using an ATM would work or not.

But I too would go into B of A rather then trying to work this out over the telephone. I have always found a face to face conversation brings much better results. If you can't get assistance then insist on talking to the manager. Good luck to you, and have a wonderful time in Italy!

SeaUrchin May 7th, 2005 04:28 PM

Fleet Bank! The name conjours up images....

jody May 7th, 2005 04:43 PM

Seaurchin...too funny ..seems they are SOL!

jody May 7th, 2005 04:44 PM

BTW..it's BNP Parabis

P_M May 7th, 2005 05:32 PM

Once I turned to Fleet Bank when any substantial movement seemed impossible. But their fees cleaned me out fast, then their service went right down the toilet.

jpf May 7th, 2005 05:35 PM

My husband had no problems in April using the first 4 digits of his B of A 6 digit pin.

His original 4 digit PIN (with Fleet)started with a 0, so to avoid any potential problems he changed it just before this trip. PINs can be changed at the ATMs.

We used the Paribas ATMs and one non-member ATM at CDG. His card worked fine at both.

Have a wonderful trip!

Budman May 7th, 2005 05:41 PM

<PINs can be changed at the ATMs.>

You sure about that? I thought you had to go into the branch, put the card in one of their machines, and punch in your new pin. ((b))

ucsun May 7th, 2005 06:36 PM

no problem here either. but do call all CC/banks to let them know you're traveling otherwise security/theft prevention may flag you and stop you in your tracks. very worthy 5 minute call.

fairfax May 8th, 2005 04:37 AM

Can't agree more about calling the bank to let them know you're travelling. I got to the UK, got some cash with my card, and then tried to check into the hotel and the card was declined. Being that i was moving to the UK, i'd gotten rid of all but one card... We finally got it straightened out, but after a 20-something hour trip, i just wanted to sleep. A couple of days later, I got an e-mail for bank customers (BofA) saying be sure to let us know if you're travelling. DO IT!!!

greg May 8th, 2005 07:05 AM

I have BofA and used 4-digit pin for many years. The differences probably have to do with which state you are in and how you became a BofA customer, directly thru BofA or thru acquisition, etc.

I HAVE to tell BofA if I want to use my checkcard/debitcard overseas.

tdyls May 8th, 2005 07:13 AM

I have a BOA debit card that has a 4-digit PIN. It works great here in the US, and I've never had any problems with using it in Italy either. I've withdrawn money at ATM's, and I've made debit-card purchases and neither has been a problem.

I've always had a 4-digit PIN for my debit card, but that was probably because I've had a bank account with BOA or its predecessors for close to 20 years.

P_M May 8th, 2005 07:27 AM

Many times I've used my B of A debit card overseas without notifying them in advance and I've never had a problem. But better safe than sorry. I'll give them a call Monday to tell them I'm going to the UK this month.

TravelMaster May 8th, 2005 08:41 AM

Trixie:

A bit off topic, but I'm a ScotiaBank customer here in Canada & they are part of the same 'special ATM global alliance' as Bank of America and BNP Paribas
(http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/conten..._LIDen,00.html) and as a result you don't have any 'extra' ATM charges over your normal BoA plan.

I had no problems with my ScotiaBank ATM card at the BNP Paribas machines in Paris last month (albeit with a 4-digit pin), I used 3 or 4 different branches for the ATMs (but they were 'everywhere')& all were fairly new, with clear digits to press and an English option for screens.

Hope this helps & enjoy Paris, its amazing.

Z

suze May 8th, 2005 09:48 AM

I am a long-time Bank of America customer with a 4 digit ATM pin who has never notified the bank of anything and never had trouble in 5 trips to Europe.

I realize this is neither here nor there to the original question. But I would be nervous traveling under the conditions the original poster described. "should be fine" wouldn't cut it for me.

Some people open separate accounts with ATM for traveling, to have a second source of cash and a backup method. Maybe you'd want to do this?