Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   BOB - Help Please - Il Poggiolo in San Quirico d'Orcia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bob-help-please-il-poggiolo-in-san-quirico-dorcia-399836/)

Flame123 Jul 23rd, 2008 04:02 AM

BOB - Help Please - Il Poggiolo in San Quirico d'Orcia

Bob,

Seeing a previous post requesting info about several agriturismos in Toscana, your name came up with regard to Il Poggiolo. I am thinking of a stay there in November and while the place looks fabulous, cannot find any reviews anywhere about it. You wrote that you have a client who enjoyed it. Can you get more specifics? And is there more than one client?

Many thanks in advance

bobthenavigator Jul 23rd, 2008 06:09 AM

Hmmm ! I will have to go back into my files to see who it was. Their stay was not based on my suggestion--they had another source. If I do find it I will contact them myself---privacy concerns.

slangevar Jul 23rd, 2008 08:49 AM

I think Travel52 could use more info on Il Poggiolo, as well. Bob - you should get Il Poggiolo to give you a commission! :-)

bobthenavigator Jul 23rd, 2008 10:49 AM

Ironically, this place would not be in my top 4 places in the region. I am not sure why it has become so popular.

farmfly Jul 23rd, 2008 11:46 AM

So Bob, what would be your top 4 places in this region? I'm traveling there next summer.
Thanks...

bobthenavigator Jul 23rd, 2008 01:22 PM

Here is my list that is well known on this site, and I would add these:
www.cretaiole.it
www.terredinano.com

Good luck !

BOB’S FAVORITE DIGS IN TUSCANY

Siena province is easily my favorite part of Tuscany. Here is a list of accommodations that I suggest. All prices assume a typical double room.

A. RURAL LOCATIONS: All have parking and good food options nearby

1. Relais La Saracina www.lasaracina.it 230 to 300E
Fabulous country home near Montepulciano—helpful owners

2. Le Traverse www.letraverse.it 155E
Small B&B just south of Pienza—hard to beat at the price—has pool

3. Lucignanello Bandini www.piccolomini.it 150[2] to 244E[4]
These are apartments in a lovely but remote rural setting.

4. Hotel Pescille www.pescille.it Good value at a rustic hotel only 3 km from famed San Gimignano with great views---100 to 130E

5. Fattoria Tregole www.fattoria-tregole.com 110E to 180E
Has both B&B and apartment accommodations. Near Castellina in Chianti

B. IN-TOWN LOCATIONS: For walking convenience to shops etc.

1. Palazzo del Capitano www.palazzodelcapitano.com 130 to 180E
Very nice small hotel in center of San Quirico—perfect location to explore.

2. Vecchia Oliviera www.tuscany.net/oliviera/ 130 to 180E
Nice 4 star hotel at the gate into lovely Montalcino---has pool.

3. Palazzina Cesari www.montalcinoitaly.com 80 to 110E
Lovely small B&B in heart of Montalcino—great value—2 nite stay minimum.

4. Locanda di San Francesco www.locandasanfrancesco.it 180 to 200E
New boutique B&B in a lovely location in Montepulciano—great reviews !

5. Palazzo Ravizza www.palazzoravizza.it 130 to 180E
Very nice & popular hotel in Siena with parking.

Flame123 Jul 23rd, 2008 01:52 PM

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your trying to help. I have a feeling that maybe "it has become so popular" because the price they are offering is so attractive (between 38 and 45 Euros per person) which makes it much less than lots of other places in the area.

Micheline Jul 23rd, 2008 05:03 PM

When we were pickpocketed on the train on our way to Tuscany this handsome beautifully dressed gentleman in our car was very kind to us. He told us to go to Il Poggiolo and give our name to the receptionist. So we did and she gave us a case of wonderful wine. Apparently he owns Il Poggiolo and a vineyard. Il Poggiolo looked very nice but not fabulous although we did not see the rooms. It was an easy walk to the town centre.

travel52 Jul 23rd, 2008 05:18 PM

IL Poggiolo emailed us to say they wouldn't book our June 2009 dates until March. I think the weak $$ has us all looking for "the biggest bang for the buck".