Boats from Konstanz to Stein am Rhein?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a public transport boat that travels from Konstanz to Stein am Rhein? If I have the German Twin Rail Pass, will that cover the trip as far as Stein am Rhein? I assume if we wanted to continue on to Rhine Falls, we would have to pay on the Swiss boat?
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM

The service is run by Schifffahrt Untersee & Rhein (www.urh.ch). The 2011 schedule is on the German version of the website; the English version still has last year's.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM

I don't know about direct boat travel between SaR and Konstanz, but you can take a short train ride with a change of trains in Kreuzlingen.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM

The German Rail Pass does not cover Konstanz - Stein am Rhein. The boats that run from K. to St.a.R. are covered by Swiss Pass, ditto for the trains which run Konstanz - Kreuzlingen (Switzerland) - Stein am Rhein.

I did part of the boat trip (Reichenau island - Konstanz) and enjoyed it despite ugly weather. However, boats are quite slow and I suggest you take the train at least for one direction.

Check this link for day tickets that cover the region (not the boats, though): http://www.euregiokarte.com/index.php?id=84

A day ticket for one zone for a single person is 16 Euro, for two adults and up to four kids it is 31 Euro.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM

If you absolutely want to see the Stein and the Rhine falls, I wonder why you want to go via Konstanz first, then the long boat ride to Stein and Schaffhausen, and then back the same way. Take a train from Zürich straight to Schaffhausen, visit Rhine falls, then continue to Konstanz by train or a combination of train and boat.

However, since this is your first day after an overnight flight, including jet lag and everything, I'd rather take it easier on that day. Konstanz is a good first base if you want to go via Bodensee. Instead of the long tour to Stein, my suggestion is the much shorter boat cruise over to Meersburg or to the gardens of Mainau island, with many connections over the day.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM

I agree with quokka regarding choosing Meersburg or the Insel Maina over the Rheinfalls. In fact, I would choose the Mainau over Meersburg if you are at all interested in flowers. The whole island is one big flower garden, with a little palace and church "thrown in for free".