Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   boat trips on the seine (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/boat-trips-on-the-seine-146024/)

caroline Jan 23rd, 2002 05:26 PM

boat trips on the seine

has anyone ever taken one? are they worth it?<BR>

Melissa Jan 23rd, 2002 05:28 PM

I did it.....it's more worth it if you go straight to the booth on the Seine, rather than book it through Cityrama. They jack up the prices enormously just for the convenience of bussing you down there!

Fred Jan 23rd, 2002 05:42 PM

Yes, they're very enjoyable. I've taken them twice - once I have to admit I slept. Reservations not needed. Just walk over, get a ticket and walk on. Here are 3:<BR><BR>Bateaux Mouches - leave from the Pont d'Alma on the right bank<BR>Tel: 01-42-25-96-10 All year<BR><BR>Vendettes du Pont Neuf - leave from Square de Vert Galant at the western end of Ile de la Cite.<BR>Tel: 01-46-33-98-38 All year<BR><BR>Bateaux Parisiens - leave from Quai Montebello Pier<BR>also from Port de la Bourdonnais at the foot of the Eiffel Tower<BR>Tel: 01-44-11-33-44 Runs April &ETH; Sept For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

mimi taylor Jan 23rd, 2002 05:46 PM

i took a dinner cruise with entertainment on the bateau muche. The food was not great, but it was fun talking with all the people and laughing at the terrible 'talent". There is another question on this same subject somewhere, I'm not good at retreiving, maybe someone will do it for you, Caroline.

Patrick Jan 23rd, 2002 07:10 PM

Unless you're staying in Paris a month or two and have a night to "waste", I'd suggest not wasting a good night at any of the million or so good restaurants in Paris to have one of those very mediocre dinners on a tour boat. But taking the boat trip without the meal is fine. It's an interesting way to see some of Paris from a different angle. And if you can find one to do late at night after dinner at a decent restaurant, then that could be fun also.

chuck Jan 23rd, 2002 07:12 PM

just did it thsi apst wekend --cost=8 euros great trip bateaux mouches didnt use a travel company -just go tothe dock ask your concierge for directions ----awesome sights at night---do it

tdandmd Jan 23rd, 2002 08:29 PM

My husband and I as a rule do not like the touristy things. We usually head for the smaller towns, wander around rather than take tours, etc. That being said, there are a couple things from our trip to Paris that we still rave about. We took the night/dinner tour, and we loved it. Food was passable, but when they stopped in front of the Notre Dame with Ave Maria playing - something we won't soon forget!<BR><BR>What the heck, be a tourist once in a while and enjoy.

Adria Jan 31st, 2002 07:39 AM

Caroline,<BR><BR>My daughter and I took two of the boat trips on our last trip to Paris. One was on the Bateaux Mouche. We thought this one was much more touristy. The narration was by tape and each description was given in multiple languages. You actually got little information about each of the sights and couldn't ask questions.<BR><BR>The other boat trip we took was on the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. This one had a live guide giving the talk. He was able to adjust and use only the languages of the people on the boat. We only had French and English, and he could answer questions. He was very personable and we really enjoyed this one.<BR><BR>The dinner cruises are more expensive and I understand that the food is so so. <BR><BR>My recommendation would be to take the "dusk cruise" on the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. This is the one we took and it was beautiful seeing the sun set behind Notre Dame and then the Eiffel Tower all lit up. I got some great pictures. E-mail me if you want to see them. These boats leave from a little park at the end of the island where Notre Dame is. It is small and quiet, and is a nice place to just sit and watch the river traffic go by. You can get your tickets at the ticket office right there.<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR>Adria

Shain Jan 31st, 2002 07:54 AM

Hi Caroline,<BR>we took "Bateaux Parisiennes", and were highly satiesfied. <BR>But it's better to get 1stclass as you have more space and a different dinner incl. half bottle wine p.p.<BR>Later on dancing is possible.<BR>more info needed?<BR>Shain/eu/de/d&uuml;sseldorf