Boat tour of Thames?

May 1st, 2001, 01:01 PM
Christy

Boat tour of Thames?

Hi there...we're interested in doing a sightseeing boat trip on the Thames when we're in London in July. Can anyone recommend a good one? thanks!

May 1st, 2001, 01:13 PM
elaine

I haven't done this in a while, but I have this relatively recent information in my London file

Thames River Cruises
1. Boat trip from Westminster to Greenwich
Boats depart from Westminster Pier every 30-45 minutes (it's seasonal) and are operated by Westminster Passenger Services 207 930 4097. Boats that depart from Charing Cross Pier (tube Embankment) and from Tower Pier (tube Tower Hill), phone 207 839 3572.
Depending on the carrier and on the tides, travel time varies from 50-75 minutes. Free for children under 5. Family tickets are available. Boats that depart from Tower Pier to Greenwich, call 207 839 3572.
2. The Westminster Passenger Association phone 207 930 4721
offers riverboat service from Westminster Bridge to Kew, Richmond, and Hampton Court. The trip is available from approximately Easter through October. Trip time varies: about 90 minutes to Kew, 2.5-4 hours to Hampton Court. From May to Sept evening cruises are also offered.
3. Circular-- lunch, supper, or evening cruises, from 45 minutes (evening) to 2 hours. Call
207 839 3572
also look at www.citycruises.co.uk

www.frogtours.com
from concierge.com, April 2001:
"For a tour with a twist, try a frog-a bright yellow DUKW amphibious landing craft as used in the
D-Day operations. OK, so you won't see as much of the city, and the gaping reaction of passersby is a tad disconcerting, but this is the only tour of London that passes over and under Westminster Bridge, turning
off the road and splashing down into the Thames next to the secret service's M16 building-a moment of true exhilaration. Phileas Frogg (ouch) is your guide, the trip lasts 80 minutes, and seven percent of profits go to community based projects and/or local charities. Ethical fun and adventure, no less! Admission: about $18 adults, $9 children,; $15 students and seniors. Riiverside Building, Westminster Bridge Road (Tours depart from Belvedere Rd.); tel. 44 (0)207 928 3132"

May 1st, 2001, 01:55 PM
kam

The Kew Gardens boat is nice and a very good destination--not too long a ride. Have tea at Maids of Honor when you're there.

May 1st, 2001, 02:21 PM
joe

A simple way to see the river and get a tour is to take one of the boats round trip from London to Greenwich. From the Embankment tube stop cross the street to the river, there are several operators. Most offer a running commentary on both legs of the trip.

May 1st, 2001, 02:31 PM
Lori

Take the boat ride to Greenwich - it's nice, Greenwich is a lovely town, the boats leave very frequently in the summer. You can get off, spend time in Greenwich and take a later boat back. It's a nice day out.

May 1st, 2001, 02:33 PM
s.fowler

I asked this question last week and got some GREAT answers with loads of info. I'll see if I can find it to "top."

May 1st, 2001, 02:45 PM
Beth

I've taken the boat tour from Westminster to the Tower of London, and its a pleasant 30 minute ride. I think going the rest of the way, to Greenwich would be pretty nice. Do NOT take the boat all the way from Westminster to Hampton Court. the 3+ hour ride is WAY TOO LONG! I did it, not realizing how long it was. The seats were uncomfortable, there was not much available for lunch (and it went from 10:30-2), there was not much to see, and after we arrive we didn't have enough time to see Hampton Court.

May 1st, 2001, 07:45 PM
Judy

Last Summer,I took train to Hampton court to see the gardens,afterward,took boat to Kew garden (the Thames in this stretch is quite lovely),After walking through the garden, took tub back to London. In July, both gardens are most beautiful.

May 2nd, 2001, 08:03 AM
David White

Christy,

A good place to start, for info on river cruises, is the London Transport River Services site:

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/river/

I've always enjoyed a 1 hour cruise on the Thames, departing from Embankment Pier, taken to coincide with sunset on a nice day in the summer. Our last such trip was almost movie-like with the dramatic evening lighting.

Regards,

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com
[email protected]

May 2nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Christy

Thanks for the great replies, everyone! I'll certainly check out all those websites, and will no doubt use all your information when in London. Thanks again and happy travels!

Search this Thread