Boat ride on lake Lucerne

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat ride on lake Lucerne

Hi,

A boat ride on lake Lucerne seems to be very highly recommended in all travel forums and travel books. One of the Fodorites also commented that it gets more scenic on the Urnersee when compared to Vierwaldstattersee. So I was planning for our family to go on the boat ride from Brunnen to Lucerne which will take two hours, this October. Now I have two questions regarding this:
1.Does it really matter which boat we ride on? Specifically, Wilhelm Tell express vs any other boat? Is the experience vastly different?
2. We will be travelling with the Swiss pass. Is it valid on the Wilhelm Tell express? Will we have to pay extra or make a reservation on this particular boat?

I understand that Wilhelm Tell express is the only steamer (Same as paddle steamer?)All the other boats are modern vessels.

Would appreciate any input on these details.

Thanks,

Indigo5
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:01 AM

The full timetables for the boats are on the operator's website:
www.lakelucerne.ch
The fleet includes five paddle steamers, the GALLIA, SCHILLER, STADT LUZERN, UNTERWALDEN and URI, built between 1901 and 1928. The timetable uses symbols to indicate which sailings are normally taken by these ships. There are also symbols to show which sailings have restaurants or bars. The biggest ships on the lake carry 1200 passengers. Generally, the upper deck is reserved for first-class ticket holders.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:32 AM

.Does it really matter which boat we ride on? Specifically, Wilhelm Tell express vs any other boat? Is the experience vastly different?>

The William Tell Express is not a special boat but a regular steamer that offers a meal and trappings of a guided tour - you could ride the same boat without paying the steep supplement -

Swiss Passes are valid on the William Tell Express but you have to pay a hefty supplement - but also get the meal, etc. The pass basically pays for the regular boat fare and not the extras the William Tell Express gives you on board. Not sure you need a reservation.

Here are some sources that may give you more info on William Tell and Swiss trains and boats in general - www.swisstravelsystem.com - has a link i believe to the William Tell Express and special scenic trains like the Golden Pass (which goes from Lucerne to Interlaken to Montreux) - and www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com - actually if you want to talk to someone call this one - i have bought Swiss Passes from them for years and IME they know everything and could give you more definitive info.

I think the William Tell Express may be first-class only but not sure - if it is with a second-class pass you may have to pay more for the supplement - IMO i would just hop on any boat as the scenery is the attraction here IMO - and again you could be riding the same boat as the William Tell Express folks.

The William Tell Express is more than a boat ride as at Fluelen - at the southern tip of the lake William Tell Expressers get off the boat and on a train that continues south over the Uber scenic Gotthard Tunnel line to Lugano.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate that prompt response both of you! Thank you. I have already downloaded and taken a print of the October 2010 time table from www.lakelucerne.ch In fact that's where my doubts started. Only William Tell express has been indicated as a steamer. All the other names that you or my guide book speak of, find no mention in the official time table!

I'm reading Bradt's Switzerland guide and he mentions that "breakfast or lunch on a paddle steamer on lake Lucerne is a pleasure not to be missed"! That's why the fixation with a "paddle steamer"

Indigo5
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 06:18 AM

Indigo5, I suggest you take the gondola and cable car up Mt. Pilatus then the cog railway down to board a boat back to Lucerne.

www.pilatus.ch

Check the box for the language you desire.