Reload this Page >

boat rental in Sorrento/other grotto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
trsmom

Does anyone have any experience with renting a boat for Capri or Amalfi from Sorrento?
And...has anyone heard of a grotto in a small town north of Naples?
Thanks

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there some reason not to take the regular ferry or hydrofoil service?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:26 PM
trsmom

I read on this site a few months back that the "tour" of the blue grotto was fast and crowded, and someone said they rented their own boat, leisurely did a "secondary" grotto (green grotto?) and took some nice swims off the boat. Just sounds a bit more relaxed and fun than being jammed on the boat and driven in and out at someone's schedule. Makes sense. Hopefully someone else can tell us more. We do boating ourselves, but a captain would be fine also.
I'm not too crazy about tour type things.

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM

Hi Mom - Are you looking for a motorboat or a sailing boat?

There are several companies in and around the Sorrento peninsular. Here are some links:

www.massalubrense.it/coopsantonio.htm
www.masticiello.com/english/noleggio.asp
www.bassamarea.com/indexe.htm
www.taxidelmare.it/en/index.html
www.ciuffitiello.it/page/indexs.htm
www.massalubrense.it/shakti.htm
www.massalubrense.it/sermil.htm

From Sorrento there are also the 'MN Marine Club' cruises - one of which is along the Amalfi Coast:
www.marineclub.it

Other options from Positano/Amalfi:

www.gennaroesalvatore.it
www.lucibello.it
www.bludream.it
www.bluestarpositano.it
www.coopsantandrea.it
www.ladolcevitataxicharter.com (Amalfi)
www.mitopositano.it/barca.htm
www.amalfisails.it/index1.html
www.starnet.it/ornsay
www.cassiopea-positano.com
www.amalficoastlines.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:44 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

IIRC, the green grotto is near Amalfi.

See http://tinyurl.com/3xpl8v for reviews.

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Trsmom:

Not exactly a grotto, but perhaps you are referring to the Campi Flegri near the town of Solfatara west of Naples? You can walk around this vast field, which is hot under your feet, and see sulfur vents and bubbling mud pits... I saw a tv show about this once and it looked well worth a visit.

Nearby, in Sophia Loren's home town of Pozzuoli, which gave its name to a famous seafood dish, you can visit the remains of the 3rd largest ampitheatre in the Roman world....

Both places should be easy to reach from Naples.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Not related to your question, but there is a green grotto in Capri in addition to the better known blue grotto.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM

We went to the green grotto near amalfi, and thought it was quite nice. Touristy though - but so was the blue grotto (which was A LOT more expensive).
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:39 PM
trsmom

Thank you all...lots of great info. I will follow up on!

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM

trsmom,

We stayed in Capri a few nights and simply hired a captain down at Marina Grande to take us on a private tour of the island and the blue grotto. There were many captains available for this kind of private tour.

Just so you know, however, sometimes boats can't enter the grotto because of rough currents.

Anyway, have fun!

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Other than jamming in with all the day trippers on the ferry, there are two ways of doing a day trip to Capri that IMO are much more relaxed and fun:

1. Semi-private boat. There are booths at the Positano beach and other coast town beaches that will organize trips of 12-25 people, sometimes more. You will have some strangers with you, but not necessarily a bad thing. The itinerary is set, so I don't think you can ask for special side trips. I have not done this, but have seen good reviews of the following operator, who runs day trips for €80 per person including lunch, usually 12 people in each boat. The boats are low open wooden boats, look a little unseaworthy to me, not sure I would want to take it all to way to Capri from Positano.

Gennaro e Salvatore Capraro
Via Trara Genoino, 13
Positano
Office: +39 089 875 211
Fax: + 39 089 875475
Email: [email protected]
www.syrene.it/gennaroesalvatore

If can't find the website, " Gennaro e Salvatore Capraro" on a search and then their website should be the first link.

2. Private charter. Unless you are quite experienced with boats, I would hire a boat with a captain as you will be going into unfamiliar waters. Also, with a captain, you wont' have to mess with docking and fuel. I have chartered with a captain three times and it is my favourite way to see the coast, as you set your own itinerary. Prices would vary depending on the number of hours you want, I think you will pay something between €400- 600 for between 6 - 10 hours. I would say you need at least 6 hours for a day trip. You may be able to reduce costs by taking a private boat out and around the island to the Blue Grotto, etc., and then having the boat leave you at the port so you can explore the island on foot and head back by public ferry. You would need to time this to get the last ferry out which is at about 5:30 pm.

Recommended charter companies on this board are:

1. amalfisails.it
tel 39-335-645-1400 f
fax: 39-08-985-2911
email: [email protected]

I have used Amalfi Sails, and have been very happy.

2. www.bludream.it Blu Dream S.n.c.
Via G. Marconi, 71
84017 Positano (SA)
E-Mail: [email protected]
Site in Italian, very difficult to navigate)

3. www.lucibello.it

The have a beautiful wooden Chris Craft available for day hires from €900.
They have an 11 meter speed boat with cabin that takes 30 minutes to get to Capri, €900,00.
The have an open-type 8 meter motor boat "Lucilla" that takes 60 minutes, €380,00.
They have a 4.5 meter rubber boat that takes 40 minutes, €300,00.

Other charter companies mentioned on this board are below, I haven’t done any research on them myself:

www.coopsantandrea.it
www.starnet.it/ornsay

If you do a private boat, you can stop at Sirenuse and swin. Once you get to Capri, do a circuit around the island, passing through the middle of the Faraglioni rocks. Swim through the Spumaniti arch on the mainland beach just near the Faraglioni , and stop to snorkel off the beaches nearby. You could have a picnic on one of these beaches, or head to land for a restaurant lunch. Take 2-3 hours to explore the island on foot (there are some excellent walks); have the captain drop you at the port at Marina Grande and go up into Capri town, or up to Ana Capri for lunch. Go to the Blue Grotto toward the end of the day or around lunchtime, in hopes of avoiding the tourist masses. (Or go first thing if you arrive early enough, the captain should know.) Head back to Amalfii/Positano as the sun is setting over Capri, a gorgeous site.

For recommended walks on Capri, get the Sunflower walking guide to Capri & the Amalfi coast, which also has great walks along the coast. They are rated by difficulty and time, so you won't take a trail that is too difficult or will take too long. I heard about these books on this site, and have used them in other parts of Europe. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm.

Some recommendations for lunch would be:

DA GELSOMINA
Via Migliera 72, Anacapri, Italy
Phone: 081/8371499
http://www.dagelsomina.com/en/3.html

This is in Ana Capri, so from Marina Grande, take a bus or taxi. It is a little walk, about 20 minutes, from the center of Ana Capri, I believe they will also send a car to collect you from Ana Capri. It has incredible views and food. If you are really ambitious you can walk all the way back down to Marina Grande in about an hour (a LOT of steps).

LE GROTTELLE
Via Arco Naturale 13, Anacapri, Italy
Phone: 081/8375719

This is walkable from Capri Town. You may also be able to access it from the boat. Casual and inexpensive, very good food.

ADD'O RICCIO
Via Grotta Azzurra 11
80071 Anacapri, Italy
39-081-837-1380

On a cliff above the Blue Grotto.

LA FONTELINA
I Faraglioni, at end of Via Tragara
Capri Town, Italy
Phone: 081/8370845

A great restaurant. They can be reached by boat from Marian Grande; but you should also be able to access it directly from a private boat.

LA SAVARDINA DA EDUARDO
Via Lo Capo
Tel 081 837 63 00
Closed Wednesdays
http://www.lasavardina.com

Walkable from the Piazza in Capri town. Is thought to be the best restaurant on the island. It is a 40 minute walk up a narrow path, that is lined with homes and villas. The views were incredible. The food is just wonderful.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM

bookmarking