boat or bus down Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Sorrento and can't decide between taking a mini-van or a boat to see the Amalfi coast. Both stop in Amalfi and Positano and the mini van stops in Ravello. Your thoughts? Lynne
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Do you get car sick? I do and both cars and buses make me ill on the AC. I prefer a boat.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The drive along the Amalfi Coast surprised me as it wasn't anywhere near as twisty and turning as I thought it would be. Why don't you must take a bus to a town on the AC and then take ferries or buses between tne towns? We did that. Buses are at the train station in Sorrento.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
ekc

I would choose a boat over a bus or a car on the AC every time - and I do. On a boat you will not be stuck in traffic, will have amazing views and fresh air.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 03:48 PM

Even if the views are spectacular, and they are, I feel so trapped on a bus of any kind. It would be nice to go to Ravello, but the boats/ferries are so nice. You can get up and walk around on the boats and enjoy the breeze as well as have great views. If you have kids with you, being able to walk around is especially nice for them.
You can do it on your own too, bus one way, boat the other.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:24 PM

You gotta take at least one jaunt on the famous Amalfi Coast buses-one of the most thrilling cliffside bus rides outside of Swiss postal buses. Nervous Nellies sit away from the window. But alas during high tourist season they often creep along in heavy traffic - but not always and at all times of day.

I can see boats as the utilitarian way to go along the coast and to Sorrento and of course Capri but do one jaunt on the world-famous Amalfi Coast buses!
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:00 PM

Totally agree with PalenQ. Take one of the busses. I don't mean a hired mini van---but one of the SITA busses from Sorrento that stops in Positano and and goes to Amalfi. From Amalfi, yo can take another bus to Ravello. You'll be with local folks on the bus, have jaw dropping experiences, and find the new heroes in your life are the SITA bus drivers. We took it both ways, for convenience, but if doing it over, i'd take it one way. If you are prone to motion sickness nausea, as I am, predicate with Meclizine (Bonine) --i did and it worked fine.
Hoping to return in May, I will take at least one SITA bus ride. BTW, we stayed in Sorrento and thought the town was a perfect base for the area! Check out Bar Rita on Via Corsi (not far from where you'll get the busses or train) for good inexpensive takeaway of all kinds.
Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 07:12 PM

I would take the bus ride as promised by PalenQ. For me, boats are way too slow and just boring.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 01:16 AM

I would take bus one way and boat the other - the views and perspective are very different. The buses generally run earlier and later than the boats (or at least they did when we were there).
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 07:02 AM

A more thrilling bus ride would be on Capri, esp. up to Anacapri. I've read in numerous places that the SITA buses can be super-packed (more with tourists than locals) and may get so packed, esp. heading back to Sorrento, they don't even stop to pick people up, say in Positano. We splurged and got a driver (that was years ago)but now there is also a HO-HO bus that is a bit pricier than the SITA bus. It gets some mixed reviews but it seemed like it could be worth trying.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:31 AM
ekc

PalenQ, everyone would be very happy that I do not take the bus, as it is guaranteed my motion sickness would result in a "reversal of fortune", which would have nothing to do with sitting away from the window, but everything to do with being on a bus on a very windy road.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Meclizine on AC buses doesn't work for me.

These world famous buses are sometimes too crowded to board.

I once saw people at the bus stop in Positano, needing to get to Sorrento for a train, wave down motorists and beg for rides after waiting for over an hour for the SITA bus.

YMMV
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 11:19 AM

ekc - Yes it can be a rolling and rollicking ride.