Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mull & Iona Tour - David Greenhalgh - Anybody Used This Guide?

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone.

In planning for our trip to Scotland in May/June of this year, I've been mulling over (pun intended) a visit to Mull and Iona - a top priority on this trip.

I know that there is a ferry that goes from Oban to Mull, with a coach (bus) ride to Fionnphort (did I spell that right?), and another ferry that goes to Iona and (on some trips) Staffa.

We are most interested in Iona, and seeing some of Mull.

In doing more research, I came across the "Mull and Iona Taxi Company." Owner David Greenhalgh offers personalized tours of the area, in an eight-passenger mini van. He would meet us at the Ferry terminal on Oban and shepherd us around Mull and Iona, essentially letting us shape the day (we decide where/when to eat lunch, for instance, and how long to spend in each area).

It sounds interesting, even though we're usually pretty independent travelers.

So, I thought I'd ask whether anyone has used his services and/or whether any of you have comments about our plans for this part of the trip.

Thanks.

Gayle
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:52 PM

Not used him, but if you google he gets good reviews.

The concept is one I enjoy hugely, although it's really not hard to do those two islands yourself.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sheila.

Any other comments out there?

Gayle
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:42 AM

I assume he charges more than other inclusive day trips to Mull and Iona. Try comparing with Bowman's (www.bowmanstours.co.uk). Whichever way you do the trip, you won't get a lot of time anywhere: Mull is a big island and one day is not long enough to explore both Mull and Iona.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Will you be driving? If so I'd just take my own car over to Mull. No need for a guide - unless you won't have a car. There is a car park at Fionnphort and then you take the foot ferry over to Iona.

If you are staying in Oban you might want to consider staying overnight on Mull instead. There is plenty to fill 1.5 or 2 days and then you'd have time for both Iona and Staffa.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 06:08 AM

It depends on how much it would cost in my opinion. We went last year and took the ferry to Mull and drove straight to the ferry to Iona with a commentary on history etc by the driver. I quite liked it and it seemed a long day even though we had set times to be back. I would not drive as I remember it was a long way off to get the Iona ferry unless you spend the night there. I would like to do that myself some day if I stayed over . Iona was interesting to me but we did not really go anywhere aside from the church and coffee shops as there seemed little else to visit (I am sure I am wrong!)
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

Yes, we will have a car. I didn't realize that the ferry from Oban was a car ferry, so I'll continue to think about this.

David charges 27.5 GBP per person, and we would need to pay the ferry fees. I'm not sure how much the ferry fees are (for people, not cars), but my guess is that it would add up to being comparable to the 42 GBP or so that the ferry company charges for their circuit.

We do most touring on our own, but for some reason the idea of a semi-private guide for this day seemed like a good idea.

I appreciate the comments, and will take everything that's been said into account in making my decision.

Thanks again.

Gayle
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:25 AM

Gayle, you'll find the fares and details on www.calmac.co.uk.

I'd do it with a guide. Mull is famous for its Sea Eagles. I "know" where they are, and I've never seen them. If you go with this guy, I bet you do.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sheila.

I checked the website, and it appears that hiring David and paying the two ferry fees is cheaper than paying for the full tour that the ferry folks offer. (appox. 11 GBP total for the ferries, pp, added to the 27.5 David charges vs. 42 GBP)

I'm having a grand time planning this trip. Does anyone else enjoy the planning *almost* as much as the actual trip? I love it! It builds the anticipation and makes me realize how many wonderful things there are to do on vacation (holiday?)!

Gayle