Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Blue Voyage: How about day-trip boat journeys?

Jul 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm Erik from Seattle and I have another post here about family travel trip in August to Turkey.

Now I'm trying to decide on the length of a blue voyage. I'm thinking of 2-nights or 3-nights.

Then I went on a pretty good site, the official Turkish tourism site:

http://www.tourismturkey.org/index.htm

and then found this pretty good link which describes taking boat day trips. Obviously, you don't experience the overnight-on-a-boat stay, but it does have an appeal. The day trips are described in this link:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

Any comments on a longer boat trip versus day trips?

Thanks!

Erik in Seattle
Jul 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Hi Erik

I have absolutely no experience on day boat trips in Turkey. But I have a question for you: when you say "family travel" I wonder what ages, and what comfort levels are needed.

I've been reading about the Blue Voyages and although they sound wonderful, I think I should have taken one twenty years ago.

My comfort needs are fairly high these days. If you were taking me along, I would go with the day trips.

However, your situation may be completely different. In any case, my response will keep your thread near the top. ;-)
Jul 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Erik, our family is leaving this Saturday for Turkey. Friends who have already been there highly recommended a blue voyage. We have chartered a gulet for four nights out of Bodrum. You can book a cabin charter-it is much cheaper, but many companies seem to cater to the young backpacker crowd. As a family with two teen-aged sons-that is not what we wanted. There a a number of charter agents who could help you but it is also very difficult to find a gulet for less than a week at this time of year. If you are able to find one it will likely be quite expensive. Standards also vary from gulet to gulet so you have to be careful and deal with a reputable broker. We considered day trips and cabin charters and finally decided to "splurge" on this part of our holiday. We have had some difficulty with the agent we have used though everything seems to be in place now and the gulet and proposed itinerary look wonderful. I do not think a day trip experience would be the same.
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi, it's Erik from Seattle.

I sure would love to get names of blue voyage companies that you folks would recommend.

If I had the budget, I'd do this fellow from England who runs boat trips and explains archaeology. It sounded great. But he was something like US$3000 per person!

My budget is lots, lots lower.
Jul 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Hi EriK,

I am reluctant to recommend the agency we have been dealing with at this stage because of the various problems we had with communication during the booking process. I expect that everything should turn out fine but I would rather wait until our return to confirm that is the case. The Turkey Travel Planner site recommends Bodex Yachting in Bodrum (I think) That company's website has a "live-chat" feature which is very helpful. Though we did not ultimately book with Bodex, I did speak to the owner and he was able to find a gulet for our family four three or four nights. He told me that this was unusual-there had been a cancellation. We ultimately booked with another agency because the dates they offered were better for our itinerary. We wanted a gulet with A/C-if you wanted something more basic you may find greater availability. As I said in my earlier post-most gulets are only available for 7 night cruises at this time of year. If you are able to find something you should expect to pay at least 850E per day depending on the size and features of the gulet. Food (20-30E per day per person) and drinks are extra. Good luck!