Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Blue Grotto?Not to be missed? Or too touristy?

May 8th, 2000, 10:09 AM
diane

Heard a lto about the Blue Grotto. I will be in Capri for one day in late June. Would like to know if I should go to the Blue Grotto and if one should make reservations?
Also is there more than one company that takes you to the Blue Grotto and if so which is the nicest? Thanks for replying and sharing your experience.

May 8th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Ross

A major dissapointment. Tourists EVERYWHERE!!! No BIG DEAL!!!

May 8th, 2000, 01:23 PM
Karen

My answer is "both." Yes, it is as touristy a place as you will ever visit, and has been for hundreds of years. The reason for this is that it is uniquely beautiful. It is jammed with boats full of people oohing and aahing, but I can still close my eyes after 25 years and picture that blue water under the cave. I have read that it is not worth visiting on a cloudy day, because the sunlight is what creates the blue effect. I'm not sure I'd go again (although I would certainly return to Capri), but I'm glad I did it once.

May 8th, 2000, 01:42 PM
kam

Agree with Karen, above. It is one of those things that you must do at least once if you're on Capri. Capri is a place for tourists, so you'll never find it without tourists. I too remember the beautiful color, but I can't remember whether we made a reservation or just showed up--maybe someone else can help with that.

May 8th, 2000, 02:13 PM
diane

I am leaning toward doing this if it is a clear sunny day... Perhaps there are some hints that will maximize the experience. Purchasing tickets, night before. Going late in the day... going first thing in the morning. What particular boat?
Hope to hear from someone in the know...

May 8th, 2000, 04:24 PM
elaine

Just back from Italy and thought the blue grotto was worth seeing. The color was spectacular. My spouse thought it was over-rated. Go once and see for yourself. We didn't have a choice as to which boat we boarded; our guide on Capri directed us. It was basically first come first serve. Short & sweet!
Tickets are purchased at the Grotto, on the boat. Don't miss Anacapri & its spectacular views.

May 8th, 2000, 07:09 PM
Robin K

Diane:

ONLY go into the grotto if it's a sunny day - otherwise, it's really not worth it (my visit was during April last year and the clouds were covering the sun as we entered).
Also, I may be stating the obvious, but just in case you're claustrophobic, be aware that "grotto" means cave. And when they take you out there, you are then "off-loaded" from the boat into small row boats which hold 3 or 4 people. Yes - you are stepping from one boat to another boat while on the water, so make sure you wear sneakers / tennis shoes / low heeled casual wear.
You also then pay another small fee to the guy in the rowboat who takes you into the grotto. Your "tour" of the grotto takes approx 3 to 4 minutes.
I'm sure it is an unusual sight; of course, since we were inside during a cloudy time, it was pretty dark and didn't get much of the water's effect.

Also, there's another grotto (the green grotto) just by the side of the ride traveling from Positano to Amalfi. Assume that since it's not as well known that it may not be up the "standards" of the more reknown blue grotto. But if you're traveling between these two towns, it seems more accessible than the "blue".

Since my grotto experience was extremely anti-climactic, I'd have to say it's a waste of time & money. But lots of folks do go, so . . .

May 9th, 2000, 04:12 PM
hamlet

I'm another one saying it's touristy but still do it. It is a pretty sight, and it even shows up well in pictures. No need to make reservations, you can find a bunch of places that will take you there. I've heard, even you really want to make yours a unique experience, that if you are on Capri early early in the morning before the grotto tours start you can rent or find someone with a boat and go there "on your own" and have a longer stay than usual. Someone I know went a few years ago and the owner of the boat she was on knew some guys "guarding" the grotto and let all the passengers off for a swim in the grotto.

May 9th, 2000, 06:33 PM
Joanna

It was too choppy when I was at Capri to visit the Grotta Azzura - did see the Grotta Smeralda though. It was a lovely green hue, though all my photos came out too dark to show anything. You have to go down a lift, then board a small boat. The boatmen are quite funny, always singing out "miracolo, miracolo".

May 10th, 2000, 10:05 AM
sanshokubento

You should visit it but not via the normal tourist route. Skip the boat ride, just take a bus there with a swimsuit and towel, walk down the stairs to the entrance, jump in the water, and swim into the grotto. This is the only way to guarantee you can see it, if the waves are too choppy the boats won't even go in.

May 10th, 2000, 04:05 PM
Joanna

Swimming to it might be an option if 1) you can swim (I can't) and 2) you have somewhere safe to keep your valuables, or at least your busfare back to the hotel. What happens with the towel?

May 11th, 2000, 09:15 AM
sanshokubento

What happens to the towel?

Just leave it near the stairs, nobody will mess with it, only tourists go there and 99% of them are honest. If you're really worried about getting pinched, you can take the money with you, it'll dry out.

May 11th, 2000, 06:13 PM
Joanna

What did you do with your wallet with t/cheques, cash, credit cards? I wouldn't be happy leaving mine at the front desk at the small hotel I stayed at. It was unmanned most of the time. The room didn't have a safe.

Jun 17th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Danny

It's a huge dissapointment. I just came back from Italy was there on 6/12 tok the boat to the cave, had to wait in the boat in the sun for an hour and a half because of line of boats, alltogether took 2.5 hours for the ride back and forth waiting and going in for 5 minutes. do not recommend going by boat better go by bus in jJuly -August to many tourists do not recommend at all. Better to walk around the Island than waste time.

Jun 17th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Robyn France

We went in May and our fishing boat was the only one there--some folks jumped in and swam to the other side, we went around and picked them up. It was a sunny day and the color was gorgeous and very interesting againt the orange rock. If one had to wait an hour and a half though, I wouldn't recommend.

Take care,
Robyn France

Jun 17th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Myer

There's another thread that covers this topic to the Nth degree - 'The Blue Grotto'

The biggest waste of time and ripoff there is.

I was most upset about the time we wasted when we could have been seeing more of the island.

See the other posting.

Jun 17th, 2002, 10:36 PM
kiki

Hi Diane,

I had the most amazing experience going to and at the Blue Grotto. The suggestion that I heard repeatedly is to go early in the morning. We took a 9:30 am boat and had a 5 minute wait to get into the grotto. The boat ride to the grotto is fun and enjoyable, since you get to see the island from the water, and the transfer into the canoes was such fun, plus the brilliant blue color of the grotto itself is magnificent. Again, we had no wait at all, but we went early, before the loads of tourist boats came in. I wrote up my travelogue with lots of touring, restaurant and shopping tips on Capri and the Amalfi Coast - just type in "kiki" in the search box and it will pop up.

Have fun!

Jun 17th, 2002, 11:03 PM
jedi

Do not miss the blue grotto!!! But do not take one of the boats.
On the ferry over to Carpri, you will be hounded by people trying to get you on their tours, forget it. When you get off the ferry, rent a scooter. Make your way down to the grotto,arrive after 5 pm or so lock your stuff in the scooter seat. There is even a little bar where you can change clothes. and swim into the grotto. It is a bit tricky, but watch how the local kids do it, there is a chain there to help you ( be advised the opening is very small). Swimming in the grotto is one of the best things that I have done. It is an experience not to be missed.

Jun 18th, 2002, 02:49 AM
Whah??

I'm always STUNNED to see people resurrect 2-year-old threads as if the post were yesterday. Do they have nothing better to do than scroll back endlessly? Danny, who's the one who topped this old thread -- did you pull it up just to trash the Blue Grotto because you're bitter about a recent trip?

What's going on here?

Jun 18th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Danny

I pulled the thread to warn tourists of July and August in other months it is recommended.
Danny