Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Blow drying in France - ladies please help!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/blow-drying-in-france-ladies-please-help-77649/)

socal Jun 28th, 2000 09:27 AM

Blow drying in France - ladies please help!!

Hi - hope this isn't too stupid of a question:) My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon to Paris in October. When I visited Europe in the past, I brought my own blowdryer + converters - this worked only briefly and then blew out, even with brand new converters. I even bought a blow dryer from the country I was in (Italy) and it blew out immediately as well. I don't want to be vain, but would like to look nice at least a couple times on my honeymoon! Anyone have suggestions? What have you all done in the past?

Robin Jun 28th, 2000 09:47 AM

The easiest answer is to use the blow dryer provided by your hotel wherever possible-- it's pretty common, so inquire! Second choice (but not perfect) is a dual voltage dryer with a plug adaptor. This type doesn't require a converter. In my experience converters are problematic. Your problems in the past may have been related to trying to use a super-powerful dryer-- most of ours are. If you buy a new dual voltage, try compromising on a little less oomph. It may make the difference. <BR> <BR>PS-- Brace yourself for harassment from people who don't think this is worthy of forum space!

elaine Jun 28th, 2000 09:49 AM

They can map the human genome, but they can't solve this problem... <BR>This has been a much-discussed issue here, no one solution seems to have worked for everyone, especially since you've already tried using a locally-purchased hair dryer. <BR>American hairdryers and curling irons just don't work that well overseas, at least not for me. <BR>Check in advance: your hotel may provide hair dryers, which would also save your packing or buying one. Many of the hotel web sites have this information. It has been difficult, for me at least, to find a European hotel bathroom that has an outlet to plug in my own hair dryer or other appliance. The bathrooms often have outlets for (low-voltage) razors, but not for dryers. I have been known to move furniture around in the bedroom trying to get to a wall outlet. Thus, a hotel that supplies its own hairdryers is a plus. <BR>

herself Jun 28th, 2000 10:05 AM

Blew my dryer and melted my curling iron last month in France. Thank heaven all but one of the hotels we used supplied hair dryers. Aye yup, I also had a converter and was using a small travel hair dryer. Are getting hood winked on buyer converters?

Lori Jun 28th, 2000 10:06 AM

I've been using my Franzus adapter & converter set since I bought it in the late '70's - it works everytime with hair dryer and curling iron. Maybe they just don't make them as good anymore! I did buy a Braun hair dryer in London this spring tho because everyone on this forum was making me feel nervous with their converter/adapter stories! <BR> <BR>My suggestion is just be sure to stay in hotels that have hair dryers (check website and then e-mail them to be really sure, sometimes only certain rooms have things). As for outlets in the bathrooms you won't find any in most places in Europe. It's a safety issue they say, hence only low voltage razor outlets (don't try and plug anything into them). I too have moved furniture around in hotel rooms trying to get to a plug and still be able to see in a mirror! Makes for fun.

sally Jun 28th, 2000 10:10 AM

The last time I was in Europe (and I was in Paris) I did not have this problem. I was thinking I had it solved but now I'm wondering if I was just lucky. I had my own hair dryer and I had a converter and it worked without any problems. Once when I did have a problem it turned out that I was using the wrong converter so make sure you have that right. Another time I was sharing a room with another female and we only had a problem if we both tried to dry our hair at the same time. Blew out the hotel fuse. <BR> <BR>For those of you who don't think this a worthy topic I have one thing to say---don't read it and most importantly don't respond to it.

Paula Jun 28th, 2000 10:17 AM

Here's my two cents: <BR> <BR>If you do find a hotel with a hairdryer, don't expect something with a lot of power. It took me forever to blow dry my hair with the (4-star) hotel hair dryer last year in Paris, but it did work. It was just sort of like drying your hair in a strong luke-warm breeze. <BR> <BR>If you decide to buy a ``local'' hairdryer, which I believe will work, try Prisinic or Monoprix stores. In the past, I have been known to blowdry my hair in the hallway of the hotel because I couldn't find an outlet that worked in my hotel room. Also, check the room itself if the bathroom outlet doesn't cooperate - someone posted here that the outlets in the bathrooms may only be capable of handling an electric razor... <BR> <BR>For what it's worth, I did use a ``local'' iron last year in Paris, and had no problems with it or the outlets or anything else. <BR> <BR>I wish you good hair and a great honeymoon!

kam Jun 28th, 2000 10:27 AM

Buy yourself a wedding present of a European hairdryer if the hotels you are staying at will not provide one. You deserve to look nice on your honeymoon. And, don't even think of plugging anything but a shaver into that little outlet in the bathroom that looks like it belongs in the U.S. I carry a dual voltage travel dryer with an adapter plug along for emergencies but always ask the hotel for a local one as well. Caveat--last time we stayed in a hotel the dryer in our room was broken. Had to wait while dripping for them to replace it and almost missed our niece's first communion. Where? A Ritz Carlton hotel, so nothing in life is guaranteed. Check that dryer is working before you step into the shower and enjoy your honeymoon.

Judy Jun 28th, 2000 10:33 AM

Hi all, I am glad you are addressing this problem! I blew out my dryer in London and had to move all kind of furniture in Paris and Istanbul! Now, I am going to Rome in Sept. and have a curling iron and dryer that say dual voltage. Should I trust these appliances? How about an extension cord? <BR>And if anyone thinks this not a valid question, I can assure you I would truly be "an ugly American" without my trusty dryer and curler! I can also say with some assurance, that "most" women would not be too happy sans electric curlers etc. and especially on their honeymoon! Can we here from someone who is some what of an authority on this electrical stuff! Thanks, JUDY

Lori Jun 28th, 2000 11:28 AM

This is a travel related topic and if anyone objects they can skip the question & comments. It's just as important to some of us as what shoes are the most comfortable! <BR> <BR>Remember when you use a converter you must also use the appropriate plugs for the country you are in. I admit it is easier if you keep your hair in a short style too! Taking an extension cord along is a help, but remember again you need to have plug adapters/converter etc. otherwise it won't do you any good. <BR>

Lynn Jun 28th, 2000 11:43 AM

I know how big of a problem this can be. I've travelled to Europe many times, with converters, attachments, blow dryer, etc.. and there's still no guarantee it will all work. <BR>I got fed up carrying all that stuff - not only is it heavy, but I left behind one of the converter attachments in a hotel once. <BR> <BR>I finally 'solved' my problem last year in a local shop in Germany. I bought a simple 220V travel hairdryer that any local would use. (Cost around $20.00). It's compact, works well, is 1200Watts and no more attachments/converters to carry around. <BR>It wasn't hard to find, either. Bought it my first day in Germany. Just ask any local where the closest department store is. <BR> <BR>It worked well the whole trip, and in Austria and Prague. <BR> <BR>Trust me, this is the best. And if you travel to Europe again, you are all set. <BR>

Jeanette Jun 28th, 2000 11:47 AM

THANKS everyone for reminding me about this. Last time our group melted a curling iron. My hair is about 2 inches long and the only way it could be shorter is if I shaved it. Last time I had all kinds of trouble with converter in Italy. Will try the dual one and will call ahead, I think. Could go with almost no makeup if I had to but got to have some fluff on top.

socal Jun 28th, 2000 01:21 PM

Thank you so much everyone for all of your responses! So I guess I either need to bring a dual voltage blow dryer or try to find one there that works? My fiance and I have already booked a studio on Ile St Louis for our honeymoon - there was no mention of a blow dryer, but I will be sure to ask! Thanks again!

Judy Jun 28th, 2000 02:19 PM

Thanks all for your advice! I think the way to go is just buy one there! Also, a curling iron! It is nice to have such a response on this not so "too trivial" question.

Deborah Jun 28th, 2000 04:10 PM

I bought my blowdrier in Germany six years ago; it's been to Europe eight times since then (I've only been twice--I loan it to friends and get great little "thank you" gifts from Paris or Sweden or Germany! <BR> <BR>An alternative to buying a curling iron, though, is to buy or borrow a propane curling iron here. They sell them for camping trips, etc. One cylinder of propane got me through three weeks in Europe. Something to think about. <BR> <BR>Deborah