Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

blow dryer/electricity in france vs. germany

Aug 19th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know whether my German hairdryer will work fine in France? Are they on the same system/outlets? thanks.
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Should have no problems. The hairdryer I bought in France a few years ago worked fine for five months in Germany over the winter, so I imagine the reverse would be true (it also works in Belgium and the Netherlands).
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:11 AM

All of Europe (as well as Asia and most of the world outside the US) are on the same voltage, so your dyrer will work. French outlets tend to be two round prongs which are fat, so your German plug will probably need to have a French adapter put on it.
Aug 19th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks -- My blowdryer has the 2 round prongs (I wouldn't call them fat though?). Hopefully that'll work. BTilke, did you need an adapter?
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:44 AM

No, not at all for France, Belgium, Germany or the Netherlands...all of our appliances (ranging from blow dryers to washer/dryers) bought in one of those countries has worked in the others without adapters. But they don't work (without adapters) in Switzerland.
Aug 19th, 2003, 10:08 AM

BTilke -- I know Switzerland is 220/50, same as the rest of Europe, but exactly what does the adaptor look like? Is it 3 round prongs? The hair dryer will work/system the same, just the outlets?

einah235 -- are you confused yet? To answer your question, your hair dryer will only need the plug adaptor in England and Switzerland. Your German hair dryer will work fine, just the way it is, in France. Same system/same outlets.
Aug 19th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Yes, it works the same, but to be honest, I forget what the adapter prongs look like. I borrowed adapters from the hotels I stayed at and didn't look at them closely. Sorry.
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:49 PM

French plugs don't have fat prongs, they are rather slim -- some are grounded and some aren't. I have an adaptor plug both ways, but you usually get the small two-prong one.

Here is a good table showing all the variations on plugs with their prongs and grounding variations. Switzerland's is three small prongs shaped like a flat triangle.

http://www.escapeartist.com/global/photos.html
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:15 AM

I live in Switzerland and just returned from Paris yesterday. The outlets in my hotel had two ROUND pins; I know this because my Swiss plug would not fit and I had to get an adaptor from the hotel. It could be that as with many countries in Europe, the plug configuration in a given building is different from the next. Bring several types of adaptors, or ask your hotel to lend you one.