bloomsbury vs kensington

Aug 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

bloomsbury vs kensington

I've been to London before and stayed near Queensway (Bayswater) and spent practically all my time in the Picadilly Circus-Covent Garden-Soho-Westminster triangle.
I'm planning a November return visit and I've found great deals in the Bloomsbury and Kensington areas. I like to stay in bustling areas with lots of restaurants and distractions. Night noise is not a concern. Which area would be more suited to my tastes?
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:27 AM
ira

Hi,

My own preference is Bloomsbury, but I think that you woould like either.

Mind letting us know what you found?
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:35 AM
ron

I have stayed in both areas more than once and wouldn't consider either particularly bustling or replete with distractions. But since Bloomsbury is within walking distance of where you want be (which is bustling and full of distractions), I would recommend it.
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. The deals were $56 (U.S.) per nite at the Thistle Kensington Park and $63 per night at the Thistle Bloomsbury.
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Both of those deals were on the londontown.com website.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

On a side note, the Thistle Kensington is near the Kensington High Street tube station, which is served by the district and circle lines. When I was in London last, those lines were RIDICULOUSLY slow and always breaking down. Has anyone ridden them recently? Are they in better shape these days?
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:10 PM

The Thistle Bloomsbury is a wonderful hotel. I stayed there last November over Thanksgiving. It's around the corner from the British Museum and within walking distance of Theatreland and Covent Gardens. Great place to stay if you plan to spend your evenings at the theatres. Also, there's a bus stop in front of the hotel, and plenty of pubs and cafes to eat at.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you leslie. I'm definitely leaning toward Bloomsbury 'cause its near all the West End action.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:38 PM

I go to London frequently, and always stay in Bloomsbury. I like to go to the theatre, and you can walk to many venues. Also, a plus is that you can take the tube from Heathrow right to Russell Square station. And the Airbus also stops at Russell Square. I love Bloomsbury!
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Marty, check Thistle's website, as you might even get yourself a better deal directly through it's website. The price I paid last year booking directly through Thistle's website included breakfast, and VAT was included in the quoted price. Also, Thistle has a policy to allow an early check in if there are rooms available. If you do a search here at Fodor's on the Thistle Bloomsbury, you'll read some other comments that I have written about the hotel and amenities.
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, leslie. Will do!
Aug 28th, 2003, 08:59 AM
ron

I booked a room a couple of days ago for the Thistle Kensington Park on the Thistle site. Based on Leslie's comment, I checked what was on offer at Londontown.com. The deals were identical, although I prefer the Thistle site because it is more honest. Thistle gives the tax included price and is clear about whether breakfast is included or not and the cancellation conditions. Londontown adds the taxes in tiny print(while highlighting the theoretical savings in bold red!) and does not really make obvious the breakfast and cancellation situation.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

More good advice... Thanks Ron, I'll take a look at the Thistle site. Londontown.com seems to be a front for Thistle anyway. Almost all the hotel special deals offered are at Thistle hotels.
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi Marty,

You did good. The best I found from the Thistle site was 48GBP for a single.

Search this Thread