Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bloomsbury section of London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bloomsbury-section-of-london-115664/)

Sue Mar 29th, 2001 06:40 PM

Bloomsbury section of London

We will only have one day in London this fall on our way to Italy. We've reserved a hotel in the Bloomsbury section. Is this a good choice in terms of proximity to the sights? I know it is near the British Museum. What sights should we see in our limited amount of time? Thank you.

L.Binette Mar 29th, 2001 06:58 PM

You made the best choice unless you are close to King's Cross station. <BR> <BR>Better to be closer to Euston Station

Q.P. Mar 29th, 2001 07:28 PM

I have to disagree with the above advice; to my mind Bloomsbury is very much nicer than the noisy, often seedy, and sometimes dangerous area around King's Cross. <BR> <BR>The sights you'll want to see in the neighborhood, besides the British Museum, depend on what sorts of things you like. There's the Wellcome Library for the History of Medicine, the British Library at St Pancras, University College London, literary walking tours that take you by the homes of Virginia Woolf and her circle, etc. But Bloomsbury itself, though a great place to stay, is not where you'll want to do most of your sightseeing, and it's easy to get from there to other major areas--via, for instance, the tube stop at Russell Square. Buses are easy to catch, and if you feel like walking it's not all that far to various important tourist sights. Get a guidebook, check the maps, and have fun! You made a good choice of an area to stay in. <BR> <BR>Q.P.

jim Mar 29th, 2001 07:56 PM

If in Bloomsbury, you will be just north of Covent Garden (shops) and leicester sq. (lively in eve). Theater district is close, so take in a play. <BR> <BR>

Maira Mar 30th, 2001 02:12 AM

If the British Museum is the one sight you'll pick with only one day in London (which seems to be your case), then Bloomsbury is the place to stay. Many good places to stay in Bloomsbury, I hope you are NOT staying at the Londsdale Hotel. This hotel was dreadful.

Curt Mar 30th, 2001 05:08 AM

Q.P., I think you misread the note from L.Binette...she/he said not to be around Kings Cross and I agree that area is pretty seedy. <BR> <BR>Sue, I hope you are staying in the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury - it is a wonderful hotel. You have selected a very good area to stay in as the other notes indicate. I always stay at the Morgan and I love the area. Have fun

Sue Mar 30th, 2001 05:47 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your quick responses. We'll be at the Thistle Bloomsbury. We hope to see a few of the sights and then catch a play in the evening.

Q.P. Mar 30th, 2001 07:24 AM

You're right, Curt--my abject apologies to L. Binette! I did indeed misread her note, getting the meaning exactly opposite to what she clearly intended. <BR> <BR> With one day to spend, Sue, you might want to try something like this: <BR> <BR>--spend the morning at the British Museum, each picking one or two sections to explore (e.g., Elgin Marbles, the mummies) and don't forget the gift shop! <BR> <BR>--restore your flagging energies with a quick but satisfying lunch at the venerable Museum Pub right across Great Russell Street <BR> <BR>--walk back to Russell Square and catch a double-decker sightseeing bus; this will take you by Big Ben, the Abbey, and so on, and is a fun and efficient way to at least get a glimpse of lots of London landmarks <BR> <BR>-- pick one of these sights/areas to return to for what's left of the afternoon, or wander off to Notting Hill or Covent Garden or take a relaxing stroll through Hyde Park or take the tube over to Harrods for a browse <BR> <BR>-- after freshing up back at the place, have a nice fish-and-chips dinner at the North Sea in Leigh St., a pleasant short walk from where you're staying, or a lively meal at Wagamamas on Streatham, near the Museum, and follow it by a pint or two at one of the many good pubs in the area. Turn in early and get a good night's sleep so you'll be ready for Italy. <BR> <BR>Have a swell vacation--and I hope you'll like London enough to plan a return visit with more time to spend. <BR> <BR>Q.P. <BR>