PLEA FOR LENIENCY:
Although we go to Europe often, this is my first trip report on this board. I usually hang out on the mellower Asia and South America forums and have been somewhat intimidated to post here…Could be because our 22-day, three-part journey, pulled together less than a week before we left, violated many rules of sane travel.
But I received so much help here (thanks, everyone!) that I want to give back, especially because many Fodorites seem to be agonizing about a) whether to visit Hvar in August and b) whether to spend one or two nights in Ronda. I hope this report will shed light on those dilemmas.
ITINERARY (AUG -SEPT 2014):
PART ONE - FAMILY VACAY (with two sons, 20 and 23)
4 nights Prague - Airbnb
3 nights Hvar - Airbnb
1 night Split - Piazza Luxury Suites (day trip to Krka National Park)
1 night Madrid - a truly awful hotel to be avoided at all costs (more details later)
PART TWO – ANDALUCÍA ROAD TRIP (without the boys):
2 nights Sevilla - Hospes las Casas del Rey de Baeza
2 nights Ronda - Hotel Enfrente Arte
2 nights Granada - Hotel Casa Morisca
(day trip to Córdoba)
PART THREE – MADRID (no day trips – couldn’t tear ourselves away)
5 nights Madrid - Airbnb
WHO WE ARE
Harried empty nesters, joined for part of the trip by our two overscheduled 20-something sons - a miracle that we could all get away at once. After 10 days, Son1 headed home to work and Son2 began his junior semester in Madrid. (We thought he’d object to our stalking right after move-in, but he didn’t mind having us there at the beginning of his stay - especially to take all his friends out for his 21st birthday...and to help him get the right SIM card.)
This was our first time Czech Republic and Croatia. We’ve visited Spain before for work and play (I spent a month there twice), but we’d shockingly never been to the south. Mr. C speaks passable Spanish; I’m fluent (lived in Latin America). Rarely can get away for more than two weeks, so this was a landmark excursion for us.
A VEGAN IN HAMLAND
Mr. Crosscheck, a former lover of chorizo, has recently become an unlikely vegan. This made dining choices challenging, but not insurmountable.
Emerged as a theme of our trip. We stayed in FOUR places that could be contenders for Europe’s best vistas, plus one with the continent's most mediocre view...but in the running for a Best Mattress award. And we had the extreme displeasure of spending the night at a supposed 4-star hotel with the most horrific service in Spain.
NEXT: THREE OBSCURE AIRLINES
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 Days in Austria
- 2 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 3 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 4 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 5 Pisa Central to Hotel Kinzica at late night.
- 6 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 7 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 8 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 9 Portugal
- 10 Feedback on where to go (23 Mar to 8 Apr 2018)
- 11 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 12 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 13 Christmas Markets 2017
- 14 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 15 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 16 Le Marche Research Help
- 17 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 18 land vs river cruise
- 19 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 20 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 21 Tips for first trip to UK
- 22 paris to london- day trip
- 23 10 days in europe
- 24 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 25 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid
PLEA FOR LENIENCY: