Blindekuh in Zuerich

Aug 8th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Blindekuh in Zuerich

Has anyone been to the Blindekuh restaurant in Zuerich? I've read all about it (dining in complete darkness, served by blind or vision-impaired waitstaff and cooked by blind or vision-impaired cooks). Its supposed to heighten your other senses and give you an appreciation for the blind world. I haven't heard too much about the food or the actual experience from restaurant-goers, but its a 'hot' spot right now. Anyone with first-hand experience?
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Intrepid

Probably because to do a post here about the place would have to be in Braille?? (sorry, couldn;t resist)

Aug 10th, 2003, 02:11 AM

I didnt know there was one in Zuerich, but I havent been yet.
However, if it helps they have a webiste in German, which gives a lot of info, and amongst other things, the menu for the week.
http://www.blindekuh.ch
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:02 AM

Good mornilng, Rach Ran across the
Blind Cow about a year ago and received
no answers to my posting, Will be in
Zurich in November and it is on my list
to check out, will post a message on my return. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:15 AM

No first-hand experience, I'm afraid.

Were you able to read (language-wise) the things from the wwwsite?
For one thing they advertise their Sunday special: a 3 course menu between 60 and 70 Franks (there's a vegetarian option).
It seems to be rather difficult to get a reservation for dinner so you might consider lunch (Tue to Fri 11:30 - 14:00). But even for lunch you should reserve a table. (Under the headings restaurant and then reservation there's a mail form.)
I'm afraid translating this week's menu is too difficult for me but let me tell you: It sounds very good! Like an upscale cuisine, crossover of regional and French and Mediterean influences.

They have guests' comments on their site saying mainly they enjoyed the delicious food and the extraordinary experience of having to rely on your own instincts and other senses. Also it makes you appreciate your eyesight and increases the respect for people who have to go without eyesight every single day of their lives.

If you aren't successful in getting a table you might want to try their equally dark bar. Opened daily from 9:30 p.m. on. For parties up to 4 persons no reservation's needed.

I'd like to add that there's a restaurant like this in Cologne/ Germany, too. It's called unsicht-Bar without the hyphen that means invisible) and is Germany's first restaurant of that kind. (Im Stavenhof 5-7, phone 0221 2005910; [email protected])

There's an unsicht-Bar now in Berlin, too.
Aug 10th, 2003, 10:18 AM

I ate there last year.
We had a fairly large group (12?), and it took us 3 months to get a dinner reservation.

Before you enter the dining area, there is a menu with 3 choices. You pick your choice, then you are lead into the pitch dark dining area by the waitress, choo-choo style.

This was a business dinner, and we had people from all over the world with us. I sat between a guy from china and a guy from Italy. I knew these folks pretty well, and was shocked when the chinese guy wanted to talk about his girlfriend and his personal life. This was quite out of character as I knew him.
The Italian guy hated it as he felt he was not heard if he could not be seen while he spoke.
One other member of our group from Japan was singing loudly in Japanese between courses - also very unusual for him.

A few recommendations:
- dont order wine by the bottle. you cannot tell how or if your glass is filled (without sticking your finger in the glass). Order beverage by the glass

- make sure you know how many vegetables are served. I completely missed a spinach dish the was apparently quite good as I never found it on my plate

- Make sure you wont be upset by the pitch dark atmosphere. some of our group felt quite claustrophibic.

It was a great experience - dont want to do it again, but enjoyed it once.