Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Blending in in Scandinavia/Baltics in July

Jun 2nd, 2018, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi.
Heading off on a cruise (first timers) to Scandinavia/Baltic area in July. Trying to do our best to blend in and wondering what clothing would be appropriate for weather conditions (realize they're changeable) and to look less "American." Also, don't want to over-pack. Are jeans out? Shorts? We have been to Europe before but not this region and we usually travel off-season. Any thoughts/suggestions/smart-alecky remarks appreciated! TIA!

Last edited by JackandLola; Jun 2nd, 2018 at 02:10 PM.
Jun 2nd, 2018, 02:29 PM

Most Europeans look every bit as American as Americans these days as far as clothing is concerned. Troll the internet for pictures of locals in Scandinavian cities and towns and you'll see they are all, as are all Europeans these days except old-timers, wearing jeans and shorts and short pants and everything you'd see in New York or LA. You're never going to "blend in" anyway, unless you speak local languages and know local customs, so forget about your clothing. The minute you open your mouth people will know where you're from, and probably welcome you. If you affect some "Scandinavian look" you will just come off as ridiculous. There is no shame in being who you are and dressing the part - most people aren't even going to notice you anyway. Just don't waltz around in Hawaiian shirts, thongs, and baseball caps. A certain amount of restraint from that sort of American sartorial ugliness is required pretty muh anywhere you go IMO.
Jun 2nd, 2018, 04:49 PM

Dress Like a Local in 10 European Cities

Last edited by PalenQ; Jun 2nd, 2018 at 04:57 PM.
Jun 2nd, 2018, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, helpful!
Jun 3rd, 2018, 02:10 AM

St. Cirq's advice is about as good as it gets IMO BTW, do you really think that Americans are the ONLY tourists in the Baltics or are you just ashamed of who you are?
Jun 3rd, 2018, 07:12 AM

It's a non-issue really - folks of a certain age dress similar it seems now all over western Europe. I have seen Texans or such wearing large cowboy hats and though they don't blend in they do standout - kind of as laughing stocks but IMO dress as you do at home for similar occasions.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 08:06 AM

We went shopping at Lidl in Le Bugue yesterday and there was a French man and his son parked next to us in the parking lot when we exited. The French man was wearing an enormous, classic American cowboy hat. And cowboy boots. I suppose you could say he stood out, but no one seemed to bat an eye, except me.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 05:46 PM

Hi JackandLola - I brought a pair of jeans with me on a Baltic cruise in early August and was happy I had them for the cooler days. (We only travel with small carry-on baggage, too.) Have a great trip!
Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:11 PM

Everywhere I went in mainland France and Corsica featured locals wearing Leviís T-shirtís. American clothing and brands are popular in Europe. Wear whatever makes you comfortable!
Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:50 PM

By not wearing jeans and casual attire just like when traveling at home you may indeed stand out!
Jun 3rd, 2018, 10:56 PM

Bring jeans.. everyone wears them.. but make sure they are darker and narrower leg.. no mom jeans.. lol

I
Jun 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM
ira

Hey JaL,

> Trying to do our best to blend in ...

My Lady Wife suggests that you learn the words for
Hello/goodbye Please/thank you Where is the toilet?
for each language.

Enjoy your visit.

Jun 4th, 2018, 05:51 AM

Back in the day wearing athletic shoes/trainers marked you as an American but even that is no longer true.