Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bled, Slovenia or Dubrovnik, Croatia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bled-slovenia-or-dubrovnik-croatia-785665/)

mannyh10 May 20th, 2009 03:01 PM

Bled, Slovenia or Dubrovnik, Croatia

Heading to Eastern/Central Europe and I'm just starting to finalize some plans. I'm flying into Prague...and right now, I'm torn between heading from there to Dubrovnik or Bled. I'd love to see both but time is going to be tight. The plan is to head to Budapest from either of these locations. Does anyone have suggestions on a preference? Is logistics going to be an issue. I plan on using trains/or buses. I've also looked at flying and will do so if the price is right. If I do Dubrovnik, I'd really also like to make it to Sarajevo...is this an easy trip? I will have roughly 3-4 days. Thanks!

tower May 20th, 2009 03:29 PM

In my estimation, Bled is not on the same page as Dubrovnik...in fact, aside from the beauty of the lake environment, it can be rather boring. Go to Dub, fly to Budapest. Sarajevo can be a hassle within your tight time frame. Better spend the three <u>actual</u> days you have in Dub. And, having been in Sarajevo pre-war, Dub has it all over it, too. Check out cheap flights to Budapest direct from Dub airport.

stu t.

treplow May 20th, 2009 03:39 PM

I think for 3-4 days, your plans will be a logistical nightmare, if possible at all.

Look at a map: Bled is south of Klagenfurt, Austria; Prague is quite a bit northeast of it. Budapest is quite a distance southest of Prague and northeast from Dubrovnik.

Generally, public (bus/train) connections are not as well developed in southeastern Europe as in the western EUR coutries . There are mountain ranges that block trains from going "in a straight line". For example, Dubrovnik has no trains at all.

I suggest you limit yourself to Prague and Budapest, otherwise you'll spend your 3-4 days mostly on trains/planes

Or, if you are not baked into starting in Prague, fly into Dubrovnik and visit some of the nearby islands along the Dalmatian coast. Another option is to fly into Vienna and take the train to Bled. It's beautiful country.

Dubrovnik is quite a bit south of Budapest.

tower May 20th, 2009 04:24 PM

fly Prague to Dub...fly Dub to Budapest. Treplow..I read the OP as saying he has three days to spend in Bled or Dub...I'm telling him to fly from Prague, spend his three days in Dub and fly back to Buda...if he is talking about 3-4 days TOTAL, then you're right...skip everything but Prague and Budapest.

People MUST begin their quest for help by at least looking at a map..but so few do that. Recent poster wanted to know if she would have access to a beach for a day trip while staying in Madrid. Say what??

stu t.

northie May 20th, 2009 04:34 PM

If you go to Bled which is wonderful you can go by bus from Ljubljana. Trains are very good around Austria and Slovenia.

mannyh10 May 21st, 2009 07:09 PM

tower, you are correct, it is 3-4 days in Bled or Dub. I'm leaning more towards Dub. I have looked at a map quite extensively and I know it looks crazy, but I think flying may help in this area. I found a great flight from Prague to Dub, then back to Vienna (I'll look into flying right to Budapest, but right now it is a really reasonable price back to Vienna) and a short train ride into Budapest. Thanks for all the help!

adrienne May 21st, 2009 07:17 PM

Definitely visit Dubrovnik rather than Bled. I agree with Stu that Bled is basically boring.

CordeliaCH Jun 3rd, 2009 10:13 AM

Bled is lovely but 2 days there is way more than enough. If you do go there, plan to spend some time in Ljubljana to give yourself some contrast and more to do; also you would want to do the Vintgar Gorge. That said, my vote would be for Dubrovnik if you can make it work logistically. It is just really special and easy to find 3 days worth of activities (and just as nice to sit at the Buza Bar and watch the sea...).