Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tuscany area in 5 days? Best location, help!

Old Feb 21st, 2015, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are headed to Italy for our honeymoon in July. We will be staying in Venice a few nights and then renting a car to travel around the Tuscan area. We have 7 days to explore in our mini car, and then head down to Rome.
I am looking for a good location to stay while traveling around, I would be up for staying two different places and changing areas throughout the week.
We are looking forward to eating good food, drinking wine, and seeing the sights. This part of our trip we would like it to be slower paced, but still go and see the area. A nice bed and breakfast that is romantic and in a smaller village would be perfect.
Any suggestions or areas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you need to do a little research and make some basic decisions about what part/s of Tuscany you'd like to see and how much time you're interested in driving each day. Tuscany covers almost 9000 miles, but depending on where you want to go you may not need to stay in more than one place.

This might give you a start:

http://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-destinations/

Are you limited in locations for returning the Mini or is this a typical car rental?
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 01:05 PM

Kaysib,
This may help http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Jean, this is a typical car rental. No limit.

Thank you for the information and websites!
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 04:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Jean, this is a typical car rental. No limit. <<<

Typical car rental may still have limits unless you are picking up at an airport or in a big city (usually not a good idea as most cities have ZTL - areas you aren't allowed to drive without permit). Jean meant if you pick up your car in Florence or Siena (most people won't recommend driving from Venice), will you be able to return it somewhere like Chiuisi or Orvieto so you can take a train on into Rome. If you aren't familiar with ZTL's, you need to read a bit about it (and learn the various signs) to avoid costly tickets.

Once you narrow down your location in Tuscany, you need to state a budget. No point in people suggesting places that might not be in your range.