Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Blarney Woolen Mills or other place for shopping?

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently read that this place is a rip off and that there are better places. What is the best shopping place in Ireland among Clare, Kerry, Cork counties? If we can do most shopping of most Ireland's best brands at one place, it'd be great. Also, any info on any great small ones in this area of the country would be appreciated. It's 5 women with one man travelling in September!
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM

Shopping very much depends what you are looking for. Kenmare, County Kerry has some nice shops with woolen stuff - Quills is one and there are others there as well. There is a shopping area at Bunratty in Co. Clare across the road from Bunratty Castle and they seem to have a lot of brands there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM

I've been there twice and enjoyed both visits. I'm not much of a comparison shopper so I can't tell you about prices but they have a very wide selection and it is quite convenient.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM

BFLOGAL

What kind of goods are you looking to purchase? If you are wanting Irish linen, cut glass, tweeds, all the typical Irish Souvenier things, then I agree you will be ripped off if you dont know what kind of prices to expect. Quills in Killarney town are reasonable enough. I cant speak for Cork.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:45 AM

If Limerick City is on your itinerary route, I got some good bargains there at a shop called Irish Handicrafts in the Mall at Arthur's Quay. They gave me 'on the spot' VAT Rebates when I showed my U.S. Passport. It was there I learned that Children's Clothing is not subject to Value Addred Tax (Natl. Sales Tax).

But in March of last year we found the best 'deals.' The ITB Shop in Lahinch (Co. Clare) had 30% off on everything! Aran Fishermen's sweaters (49.95 were reduced to 35.00 Euro with a 7.00 Euro rebate at Shannon airport). That was 'off season' so I wouldn't expect reductions that large in Sept. but it might be worth a stop.

If you shop in Galway, be careful! Many of the outdoor market vendors sell Aran sweater look-alikes that are knit in Nepal! They also charge almost what you would pay for the real thing and they don't give you a receipt you can use for a VAT Rebate. I think the same can be said for the vendors who sell them outside the Cliffs of Moher 'Visitors Center.'
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM

You will find that the prices on tourist items are pretty much the same all over Ireland. I have spent much much time there and Ive found that to be the case. Blarney Woolen Mills has a lot of selection in one place which is good. The prices at the airport differ very little on most things as well.