Blackberry in Italy?

Search

Blackberry in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackberry in Italy?

Has anyone found using a blackberry particularlly helpful in navigating Italy?
I'm also thinking it could help with language.
Thanks,
Ardie
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
jgg

Haven't used it in Italy yet, but used a blackberry last month in London and Paris. We found it particularly helpful for looking up restaurant reviews and recommendations.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM

I used mine in Italy in February. I found it helpful to keep in touch with home, look up weather reports and storing the information that I had researched on restaurants, shopping and my tour reservations. I also used it to access additional information on the web while I was there. Before I left I was disapointed in the few programs I found for the Blackberry. I tried a demo version of "World Mate Pro" and couldn't justify paying $50 for what it had to offer. I also tried a demo of a language program (can't remember the name) and I didn't care for it either.

If you have T-Mobile as your service, be sure to have the international web & e-mail access activated before your trip and be clear about when it should be in effect. I didn't have any access for the first two days, despite being assured that it would access the Italian networks automatically. It took a phone call to their international customer support number to get things corrected.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM

Our traveling companion from last week (sigh, this is the last day I can say "last week&quot had his Blackberry and had no trouble using it. If there is a shortage of helpful software, perhaps you could e-mail yourself stuff that you would want to store on it to use? Just a thought . . . . I had the same T-Mobile problem with my phone - no service first day or two.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful ... I love this site!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM

I have a T-Mobile Blackberry, and it worked great in Italy. I was able to make phone calls; I don't think the version I had the last time we were in Italy had web access, so I don't know about that.

I stored an extra copy of our itinerary on it, as well as Italian words and phrases that I wanted to remember.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone found a language program they'd recommend?
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:11 PM

T Mobile is famous for not turning on the internation roaming, they say it's on, but alway's double check, I found that when I called before I left to make sure it had been done, it hadn't been. I had this same issue several years ago with them. I found having all my hotels email addresses in my Blackberry very handy, and it worked great from amsterdam-prague.