Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Black Forest Train Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/black-forest-train-trips-623666/)

jrwhipple Jun 15th, 2006 01:49 AM

Black Forest Train Trips

Has anyone traveled on the Schawartzwaldbahn and/or theHollentalbahn routes? 1)was it worth the trip? 2)were you able to use a DB pass? Thanks

altamiro Jun 15th, 2006 01:56 AM

>Has anyone traveled on the Schawartzwaldbahn and/or theHollentalbahn routes?

>yes - for a while every weekend.

1)was it worth the trip?

For me, certainly. For you, it depends on how much time you have overall. And just sitting through on the train is not nearly as nice as getting out in a nice place, have a walk around a lake or so, and take the next train.

>2)were you able to use a DB pass?

I wasn't since the DB pass is not available to me; but you will be. After all, the Höllentalbahn and Schwarzwaldbahn trains are just regular commuter trains run by the DB, not some museum/tourist things.

traveller1959 Jun 15th, 2006 04:49 AM

The Höllentalbahn is a regular regional train which starts in Freiburg and end in Seebrugg/Schluchsee. You will certainly see typical Black Forest scenery from the train - the Höllental gorge, forests, mountain meadows, lakes etc. There are several stops where you can leave the train, go around and either board the next train in the same direction (look at the schedule, because trains do not come that often!) or the train back to Freiburg. Either Titisee or Schluchsee might be interesting to stroll around the village and the lake, do some shopping, and have lunch or a piece of Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte (a rich cake made of whipped cream, heavily flavored with cherry schnaps, cherries and chocolate).
It is a good way to see a bit of the Black Forest if you do not have a car.
DB pass is valid of course.
For schedule, see www.bahn.de

Larryincolorado Jun 17th, 2006 08:05 PM

I did the Schwarzwaldbahn a few years ago, from Hausach to Triberg, and then on to Donaueschingen and Sigmaringen. I was going that way anyway, but it really was a pretty trip - defintitely worth it. It was in late December and ice cold. The air was so clear. It made the scenery that much more spectacular. It is a regular part of the Bahn; a pass would be valid. We did it on a Baden-Württemberg pass.

Alec Jun 18th, 2006 01:34 AM

If you are staying at least a night in the southern part of the Black Forest (but not Freiburg itself), the guest card you'll be given by hotelier etc has Konus symbol on it, entitling you to use most forms of public transport (including Höllentalbahn) free until the day you check out. On German Rail (DB) the card is valid for local and regional trains, but not intercity or other premium trains.

Russ Jun 18th, 2006 09:02 AM

The Konus-Karte Alec discusses is great and available in many BF towns but NOT ALL. Titisee is one of the towns where you can pick one up if staying there. Check with the TI or your host before booking. It is valid on the day of departure too. If you have a German railpass there's no sense in using up a railpass day when you can ride for free!