Reload this Page >

Black-eyed peas in Paris

Search

Black-eyed peas in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Jerald

Black-eyed peas in Paris

Will I be able to get black-eyed peas in Paris on new years day??? I didn't get mine in Mexico this year & I made less money this year than I did in 1956! HELP PLEASE

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Burta

We Chinese understand how auspicious these sort of "traditions" are. If it's that important to you for your financial well-being (which we Chinese also understand!), better bring your own black-eyed peas...

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:43 AM
abc

Try Paris, Texas. <BR> <BR>Happy New Year

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 08:49 AM
hij

<BR>or Paris, South Carolina <BR>Happy New Year!

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 09:20 AM
elaine

You can try <BR>Thanksgiving <BR>20 rue Saint-Paul Paris 75004, metro Saint-Paul <BR>Open Tues.-Sat. for lunch and dinner. <BR>Open Sat. and Sun. for brunch 11AM-4PM; closed Mon. They also have a shop on the premises where you can buy American-style packaged foods <BR>Tel. 01 42 77 68 29 <BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Ess

Blackeyed peas are for luck, GREENS are for money. I always make blackeyed peas on New Year's Day, but never greens 'cause I don't like them (may be that's why I have no money!) Definitely bring your own peas.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Art

Black-eyed peas only work when eaten in the South.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Christina

gee, I don't know -- black-eyed peas are a big staple crop in West/Central Africa, and there are like a bazillion immigrants from there in Paris, so it's possible. (They are not native to the US). There are tons of African markets and restaurants in the 10-12th and 18-20th arrondisements; if you are really serious, just take a walk around the neighborhoods around these metro stops, for example: Charonne, Barbes and Chateau-Rouge, Goncourt (eg, ave de Parmentier and Amelot); Menilmontant and Montreuil are a little farther out. There are plenty more. I suppose you could look in the phone book under restaurants, African, or grocery stores maybe, but if you walk around those neighborhoods, you'll find plenty. Here are a few African cuisine restaurants I know of: Gourmets d'Afrique, 21 bd St-Martin, 3e; Paris-Dakar, rue du fbg St-Martin, 10e (prob most well-known of these), Le Porokhane, rue Moret, 11e; L'Equateur, 151 rue St Maur and Espace Couleur, 101 rue Amelot and Le manguier, 67 av Parmentier (previous 3 are around the Goncourt metro in 11e, a popular area); and La Case, 47 rue des Trois Bornes, 11th. All of these are mainly Senegalese, I think, and I know they grow a lot of them there, so they should have them unless they are too declasse for a restaurant (I do not like them myself so never noticed). L'Equateur is popular and has music; Aux Derniers Sous at 15 rue la Reynie in Les Halles area is more Afro-Cuban, but has music and might be more fun. BTW, black-eyed peas in French is "niébés", so you can look for that on the menu. I don't know what might be open NY day, though, but probably some of them will be. This would actually be a more interesting foray into Paris than the usual tourist dining.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 02:36 PM
jan

jerald, we are usually on vacation on new year's day also...I just stick a can of black-eyed peas in my carry on and we enjoy served on crackers as an snack new years afternoon. Who wants to test not having any. That would be like the 4th of july without strawberry pop. have fun. jwg

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 03:09 PM
betsy

Being of Southern (living in exile in CA) extraction mahself, I can relate. Think your best bet may be the canned black-eyed peas mentioned above. Don't even consider starting the new year without them Now, where are you going to find the remnants of a Smithfield ham to cook with those peas to make your hoppin' John?

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 03:37 PM
carolyn

no good answer, just wanted to say it was a great questions. The "subject line" may not have spoken to everyone, but anyone who knew, KNEW!!! <BR> <BR>A recovering Yankee, I now think--given Christina's answer about African immigrants--that maybe more Southerners (and me!) should be spending New Year's in Paris!!! <BR> <BR>By the way, I live with a Southerner who has said for years that Ethiopian food in particular is SOUTHERN--greens, barbecue, beans . . . so, quand vous etes a Paris, go for it!